Acronis TI 9.1 Windows Server from Raid 5 --> Raid 1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DePrest, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DePrest

DePrest Registered Member

I have a DELL Server PowerEdge P2600 with Raid 5 configuration, we are working with Acronis TI 9.1 standard Server with Universal Restore. We want to restore a IMAGE to a new DELL Server PowerEdge 860 Quad Core with RAID 1. The restore process finds the RAID 1 drive en restore the IMAGE perfect. When we restart de server we getting a 0x7B error on startup of Windows 2003 Server. We are using the last version of TI 9.1 (downloaded of the Acronis website)
    What is going wrong with Universal Restore?
    Almost forgot: The windows licence of Server Standard is a Microsoft OPEN LICENCE, not a OEM.

Regards
    Dirk

2. Goose1

Goose1 Registered Member

You can't restore a Windows install which was originally based off of specific hardware, especially one using a specific RAID controller to another server with completely different hardware. This is a Windows issue, not Acronis.

One thing that SOMETIMES helps is clearing out all drivers (delete registry ENUM key) on the original booted up Windows Server. Then image it from that state. Sometimes that will work, since, when the new server boots Windows, it will reload all the drivers for the new hardware. However, it's unlikely this will work in your situation because Windows needs to know specifically which RAID controller you're booting from, and which drivers to load for it. I've never successfully imaged any Windows operating system from one RAID controller to another of a different type/model. In pretty much every case, it requires a OS reinstall.

3. random110

random110 Registered Member

Um... isn't that exactly what Universal Restore is for?

4. DePrest

DePrest Registered Member

That's exacly why we are using Universal Restore, because we want to restore to different hardware, I know that the poweredge 860 comes with a new type of chipset and maybe it isn't integrated in the universal restore. I've tried to import the drivers, but I do not see any setting on the Acronis startup CD where I can import the new SAS5/i drivers.

That's the first time we want to restore a Server2003 to a completly new chipset, all other restores to other older different chipset where restored successfull and started-up without any problem (at start-up off windows you could get the message "Found new hardware" but that's only a driver installation of other hardware, but no 0x7B error)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.