Acronis TI 9.1 Enterprise Server - Warning!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acronistester, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acronistester

acronistester Registered Member

I recently installed the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server on my W2K3 R2 Domain Controller - this is in a small office environment.

I experienced problems trying to install the Backup Server (as many others have reported here) and failed to get it working at all. The error is:

The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Enterprise Server could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.

I tried the steps outlined here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=143386&highlight=backup server

But still no luck. I tried the install in various ways many times. Finally gave up, uninstalled the other Acronis programs and rebooted the machine. Before I did this, I noticed that the Backup Server install had put a Backup Service in place which obviously didn't exist. I disabled this.

On rebooting, the server hung at the point where it starts loading device drivers (I think) and continuously looped (just after loading ACPITABL.DAT). I couldn't do a safe mode, directory restore etc - had to boot using recovery mode and had a look at the drivers list but couldn't find anything obvious.

At this point, my server was completely screwed and I had to do a re-install over the top. This was OK for a while but I then started experiencing severe crashes aevery 2-3 hours (no BSOD - just a power off!).

I finally had to completely install the server from scratch and restore AD, exchange etc - BUT NO DODGY ACRONIS software ;) Server working fine again for the last 2-3 days.

This whole episode has left me with a very bad taste in the mouth about Acronis s/w - which is a real shame as I really liked the look and functionality of it.

Acronis support - I'd really appreciate some feedback on why the install of Backup Server does not work (and whether you've fixed this for anyone else). I'd also like to know why it fails in such a poor way and why the server then crashed on booting.

Just to mention my setup:

W2K3 R2 Server with all updates
    Exchange Server 2003 standard SP2
    Most services running - IIS, AD domain controller, WINS, DHCP etc
    Boot drives - mirrored WD RE SATAII 160Gb drives
    Data drives - RAID5 array of 5 x WD RE2 SATAII 500Gb drives
    RAID controller - 3ware 9590 SE PCI-Express (x4) controller

Thanks.

2. acronistester

I'm even more disapointed that this post has received no official reply from Acronis.

o_Oo_O??

3. barth-metall

barth-metall Registered Member

u can have a reply from me. :)
    i got huge problems with backup and group server.
    finally after a couple of weeks, acronis support told me that the software will not !!! function as expectet. and i will get my money back. hooray

beside this, i will stay with acronis, but buy the local version (no enterprise) and spend another stupid week with creating 9 time the same 12 backupjobs on all of my servers.

4. acronistester

Thanks - that's pretty damning of their enterprise products then!

Acronis - care to comment (in Private if you want). Lack of a response does seem to verify this. I'd love to use your software if it does work!

Thanks.

5. Menestheus

Menestheus Registered Member

The fact that no one from Acronis has bothered to post ANYTHING in response to this thread is reason enough for me to NOT install the trial version that I spent the time downloading last week. I can NOT afford to have my server hosed while "trying out" a BACKUP program!!

Hello Acronis... anyone home?? o_O

6. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

It definately sucks that this happened to you -

And not to sound rude or anything, because I know not everybody has the resources for such....but testing with trial software on such an important production machine seems so dangerous !

But as I've implied, I'm guessing you don't particularly have extra servers sitting around to test with

7. acronistester

Yeah, it was kind of stupid! ;)

I did have all data backed up though and this server build was new, so testing it all together. I had previously tested on a non-DC server and all seemed to be running really well, so thought it was OK to install on the DC - bad move :(

Acronis - really getting annoyed now - no response to this post and no response to a support email send last week :thumbd:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello acronistester,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response. Please be aware that for some reasons the response time on Official Acronis Forum is temporary increased. However, please note that we will do our best in order to answer the threads as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

As for the issue you have experienced could you please clarify the following:

- What Acronis True Image components were installed on your server which you uninstalled?

- What "Backup Service" did you mean? Where was it installed and how did you "disabled" it?

Also please create the installation log file the way it is described in this post you have mentioned above.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One OT post removed - let's keep on topic here - the Acronistester's Enterprise Server issues.

10. Menestheus

Menestheus Registered Member

Aconistester, please post your results if you were able to follow Aleksandr's suggestions to resolve your problem.

I am holding off on installing the Enterprise product on my server until this issue is addressed.

11. acronistester

- What Acronis True Image components were installed on your server which you uninstalled?

I Installed the backup server, Group Server, Windows Agent (IIRC) and Enterprise server. It was the backup server which gave the problems.

- What "Backup Service" did you mean? Where was it installed and how did you "disabled" it?

What I mean is that I tried installing the Backup Server software - as mentioned, this failed during install with the error: 'The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Enterprise Server could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.'

BUT - the install did not clean up properly - the backup server service was left in the services console - but with no files to go with it. This gave an error on reboot (on several of the reboots before the final attempt when the server got completely screwed up). I disabled this in the services console by selecting 'Disabled' in the Properties-Startup Type.

I will be able to send you the 'Windows System Information' dump as requested (if you still want this?) but I will NOT install the Acronis software again unless you have a resolution for me or are very sure of a fix. I CANNOT afford to be a guinea pig and wreck a functioning DC server again! Reading other posts on this forum, others have experienced the same errors (as above) when installing Backup Server - have these errors been resolved yet? Have Acronis actually tested Backup Server on a W2K3 Domain Controller?

As mentioned in my original post, I did follow the 'extract install' as detailed in the post I linked to. As I had to re-build the server, I don't have the log file :(

As mentioned, this install was with the DEMO product - I have not yet purchased the full product and will not do so until I know this product actually works in my environment. This was the reason for the trial.

I'm happy to pass over any other info you need as long as there's no risk to my functioning server.

My response number is 717121 - this is the only ticket raised directly via email IIRC - which you've now responded to.

Thanks.

12. acronistester

13. kuif

kuif Registered Member

Hi there,

I've also ran into the installation problems with the trial of True Image Enterprise Server.

The Acronis Backup Archive was visible in my Device Manager ( from earlier installs ), so i deleted the driver.

Then i changed the DEP setting in Windows ( turn on DEP for all programs and services except those i select ) , rebooted, and the installer ran perfectly...

Maybe it works for more of us.....

greets,

Kuif

14. acronistester

Thanks,

What's the DEP setting you talk about? is it data execution prevention? Not seen this before - how/where do you enable it and what does it do?

Cheers.

15. kuif

kuif Registered Member

It's Data Execution Prevention, you'll find it at:

Properties of my computer, Advanced, DEP.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Detailed description of DEP here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.