Acronis TI 10 build 4940 limiting number of backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ThatGNU, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatGNU

ThatGNU Registered Member

Well I took the plunge and updated TI 10 to build 4940 and now no matter what I do the limiting backups feature in Backup Locations does not work. Acronis simple ignores it and creates more and more backups.

Yes, I have followed the posts instructing to select the backup location and not select via the file/network tree.

The problem occure regardless whether one runs the tasks manually or via the task scheduler.

HELP

2. ajmaske

ajmaske Registered Member

Ughh... this seems to be a problem when applying updates. This happened to me on the last update I installed. The solution then was to completely remove TI (uninstall and clean registry); then reinstall the update. After doing that every thing (particularly what your reporting) worked correctly.

I was hesitant about installing build 4940 but it does claim to fix the email notification, which I like. Now I just need to schedule the time to go through the whole process of uninstalling, cleaning, then reinstalling...

3. ThatGNU

ThatGNU Registered Member

I am in the process of installing Acronis on two PCs. Both were "clean" installs. On this one, two days after testing the initial instal I decided to apply the latest patches prior to releasing as completed and ended up with the problem described. The other PC is OK has not yet had the latest patches applied and I can make it limit the backups etc. I guess I will have to wait for Acronis to produce the next release.:'(

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This happened to me once with a Backup location and I hadn't done any ATI updates for a while -- it was during the long peaceful prolonged existince of build 4871. Uninstall/reinstall fixed it for me too. I've since installed 4940 on top of 4871 on serveral diff machines and haven't had any problems with backup locations. So I don't think the problem necessarily arrises from doing ATI updates. But there is something that can happen to make ATI stop observing limits in a managed directory. I'm very curious to know what does it. I'm guessing jsut one particular file or registry key gets corrupted somehow and if we knew what that was, the fix would be easier than doing an uninstal/reinstall.

5. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

4940 managed backup locations appears to be functioning properly here, after a normal uninstall of the old version, then new install. But I used the TI 10 "Manage Backup Locations" to remove the managed directories and then re-created / re-initialized them.

Also, when I ran into this same problem with the first release of TI 10, I was able to correct it by using TI 10 to remove all managed directories and then re-initialize them. It was not necessary to uninstall and wipe clean Acronis.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ThatGNU,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please do as SemiP suggested and remove and recreate Acronis Backup Locations using "Manage Backup Locations" wizard.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please collect the acronis_backup_place.cfg file located in the folder specified as a backup location.

Please collect the log of creating backup which violates the specified backup location rules:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also clarify where exactly did you create the backup location.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'. going to guess that it's a single registry key that needs to be corrected, dleted or added, which uninstall does ans does deleting all backup location from within ATI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.