Acronis Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Keith Weisshar, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Weisshar

Keith Weisshar Registered Member

I'm running Acronis True Image 10.0 build 4940 under Windows Vista Home Premium, I created a secure zone and ran the backup to the secure zone. When I start the restore wizard, why is Snap Restore not available?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just something to check: In TI9 I believe you had to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager as well.

3. Keith Weisshar

Keith Weisshar Registered Member

I have already activated Startup Manager in True Image 10.0.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Keith, Have a look at the Acronis user manual. Section 3.6 specifies that Snap Restore does not work for Windows Vista. My version of the manual was downloaded on Feb 16 2007 so i think it is current.

However do not be too disapointed that Snap restore does not work for you. I gather from some that have used it that, although it may save a small amount of time to get you working sooner, it rumbles on for much longer than usual and this has quite an impact on the system performance.
    There is also the possibility of losing partitions if they are not all included in the image. The warning comes quite late in the process.

My advice would be to start the restore normally and go get a coffee [​IMG]

5. REK

REK Registered Member

At first hello to all, I registered new in the forum today.

Sorry for mixing in, but I do have exactly the same problem/question than Keith. I run TI 10 build 4940 on three different machines (two desktops, one laptop). The difference to Keiths problem is, that I run XP home on this machines, but snap-restore is not available on even one of them.

Secure zones are created, startup recovery managers are activated, backups written into the secure zones and separately on external usb-harddrive and CDs/DVDs. Writing and restoring the backups into/from the secure zones, the usb-harddrive and the CDs/DVDs works without any problems.

I agree to xpilot, that it is not really necessary to get snap-restore working. So I had a lot of coffee :). But it would be fine, to find out why snap restore doesn't work. A mistake of the user or a problem of the newest build? In no way, I can see any option/button for using snap-restore. Is it possibly working only with a former build? (I hope you can cope with my english, I run the German version of TI 10).

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello REK,

My TI build is 4940 on an XP SP2 computer. I have a Secure Zone on a secondary internal HDD.
    The Snap restore option appears in the restore data wizard under type selection. This is when starting the wizard while still in Windows.
    When booted from the recovery CD it also appears on the next screen after selecting an image in the secure zone archive. Since I do not use or need the Start up Recovery manager I have never tried to use Snap Restore although when booted in Windows it lets me get to as far as the Proceed screen.....I wonder if it would run....

I wonder if there is something different in our TI installation choices?
    I used Typical, this does include the ability to create a rescue CD though the manual suggests that it does not!
    I did not use Custom because with my current way of working I do not need to make a Bart PE CD.

Forget the coffee it is nearly time for my pre-lunch Whisky [​IMG]

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I find putting in on my breakfast cornflakes sets me up for the day :D

F.

8. REK

REK Registered Member

Hello Xpilot,

thanks for your reply. It is possible, that the problem actually is caused by differences in our installation choices. I used "complete". Another difference is that I do not have a second internal harddrive. I'll check this next week by trying to create a secure zone on an external usb-hardddrive (if possible, I'm not sure by the moment). You are right, now it is time for a pre-dinner whisky before the pre-dinner-wine and so on ;)

@foghorn: Isn't it "terrible" to have whisky on the cornflakes? ;)

Maybe somebody else or somebody of the True Image Developers has any idea with the snap-restore-problems. I'll be back in the forum next week.

Have a nice weekend ...

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Keith Weisshar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as Xpilot mentioned the current version Acronis Snap Restore does not support images of Windows Vista. Please have a look at this previous post of mine for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello REK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please provide us with additional information that will allow us to investigate the issue?

- Have you created the image archive of the entire hard drive or the image of the system partition only?

- Describe actions taken before the issue appears step-by-step. Create a screen shots of all your steps.

In addition, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please also note that it is not recommended to create Acronis Secure Zone on the detachable hard drive. The reason is described in this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.