Acronis Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by williggin, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williggin

williggin Registered Member

Sorry for being thick here but what is the secure zone? I'm using Win XP Pro SPII on a 3 drive system. Drive C being 2 Western Digtal (WD) 150gb Raptors RAID the third is WD 500gb. Do I create the zone on the boot drive or the other drive and do I have to create a partition for it.

I use a portion of the 500gb drive to backup using Acronis True Image there is ample room there.

What is the best layout for my system?
    Kind Regards
    John

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't even bother with the Secure Zone (SZ) since I have 2 physical drives in my PC. I would rather just write my backup images to the second drive. I also create them to split at 1492 MB so 3 of the split files fits nicely on a standard DVD just in case I want to burn them to DVD.

The SZ allows you to create a partition on your system in which you can store your images. The partition is not accessible by anything other than True Image so the images can't be accidently deleted. Unfortunately, this means you can't just copy them out of the SZ to another place or burn them onto DVD.

One use of the SZ is that once the space fills up it will delete the oldest backups so it acts as an automatic deletion method according to a set of rules listed in the TI user guide.

I believe you can create the SZ if you wish on any of your drives but do not create it on a removable drive. Using the SZ also writes a special boot record onto your drive for recovery from within the SZ.

Have you read the relevant section in the User Guide?

3. williggin

williggin Registered Member

Great I understand it better now. Thanks for your help and time, including the 1492mb split that is a good tip.

I will read the guide. I'm famous at fixing things without consulting the guides and getting into a pickle then and only then reading my way out of it. Oh well I get into trouble fast - I do that well.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.