Acronis restore within Bart PE issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leoliver, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leoliver

leoliver Registered Member

I made a small test back up, on a cd, with True Image 10. Then I booted to Bart PE, and successfully validated the back-up.
    When I tried to restore the back-up file, I ran into the problem that in the Bart enviroment, the drive letters were all changed.
    I couldn't back up to the orginal location (on my hard disk "C:"), because "C:" drive was now a utilty partition. And under Bart, my hard drive was now" F:" which was the external dvd drive that I made the back up to cd.
    When I tried to restore to a different location, Acronis included a "C:" folder to that restore move. And when I tried the restore I recieved a error message saying It couldn't find that location ( the location was a folder on my hard disk).
    Any Ideas how I can resolve this issue? Can I change my drive letters in Bart PE ?
    Thanks !

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

The issue with hidden partitions getting a drive letter under BartPE with my TI plugins is know. It is covered in the help file. In order to accomplish image mounting, "PartMgr" had to be removed from the Upper Filters in the registry. Look in the C:\pebuilder3110a\plugin\z_UpperFilters folder. This is a plugin I created to make sure the Upper Filters are processed last. Double click UpperFilters.inf to see the contents of the file. It should look as follows:

[Version]
    Signature= "$Windows NT$"
    [PEBuilder]
    Name="Force UpperFilters to be processed last"
    Enable=1
    [SetupReg.AddReg]
    0x7,"ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}","UpperFilters","snapman"
    0x7, "ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}","UpperFilters","snapman","timounter"

You can prevent drive letters from being assigned to hidden partitions by changing the last two lines as follows:

0x7,"ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}","UpperFilters","PartMgr","snapman"
    0x7, "ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}","UpperFilters","snapman"

Notice "PartMgr" has been added to the first line and "timounter" has been removed from the second line. If you make this change, image mounting will not work. This issue is due to the way Acronis wrote the snapman.sys and timntr.sys drivers. If "PartMgr" and "timounter" are included at boot, BartPE will not see any hard drives. However, you can change the upper filters to allow image mounting after you boot. Run regedit and change the upper filters entries on the two line. The first is at HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Remove "PartMgr" from the upper filters list. The second is at HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}. Add "timounter" to the upper filters list. After these two changes are made, image mounting will work without rebooting. When you are done with image mounting, you can run regedit again. Add "PartMgr" and remove "timounter" to/from the respective lines. This will allow you to continue working with TI.

3. leoliver

leoliver Registered Member

Mustang,

Thanks for your reply, I'll do your suggested changes on my next Bart PE build and see what kind of results I get.
    Before recieving your reply, I rebooted to Bart and deleted the folder that a prior unsucessfull Acronois test restore had created in my 32 mb Dell partition utlity, because Bart had it listed as "C:" drive, which is really my Windows hard drive.
    Then I opened up Acronis, and attempted to restore to a different location, ( to get arround the drive letter problem ), by using Acronis to create a new restore folder in my "F:" drive, under Bart that really is my Windows hard drive "C:" . The restore started and then came up with error messages that specified file path couldn't be located. So I canceled and restarted Windows. Then "Chkdisc" started, found and deleted corrupt file sectors, and located and moved some of the files that were in my Acronis test back up. I explored in Windows, and found that some of the files were now in the restore destination folder.
    Now I would like to get some feedback on what actions caused some system volume files to be corrupted or lost.
    And also ask if there is a danger of my hard drive being damaged while working within Bart with Acronis restore tests.
    Thanks.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

I wouldn't use files/folders backups, under Windows or BartPE. That's why I progammed the plugin as I did. Image mounting and copying files is far more reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.