Acronis Recovery Manager - F11 to boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by steevo, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steevo

steevo Guest

Hey, i really think this is an excellent feature for True Image.

I mean, who really wants to carry around a boot cd anyways? This F11 thing is great.

The only thing that sucks is that it only works when you use it in conjuction with the secure zone.

Why is that?

Why does the recovery manager need to rely on the secure zone?

I don't want a secure zone partition. I'd rather manage my images the way i've been doing so all along and at the same time I still want to use this F11 boot feature.

Is there any way to do it?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Steevo,

I don't know what version of TI you're referring to, but there isn't an issue with doing so with TI8.

Steve

3. steevo

steevo Guest

TI8 is the one i'm using.

So what you're saying is that the latest version can do it without using the secure zone right?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Steevo,

I'm pretty sure what Dog has said is incorrect (unless he has a trick up his sleeve that we don't know about :)). As you have found out already, if you haven't created a Secure Zone (SZ) and try to active the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM), TI will insist that you create a SZ before proceeding.

I wouldn't write off the bootable rescue CD altogether though because the SRM has a number of limitations as follows:

1. It overwrites the MBR, thereby rendering many proprietary hidden boot recovery partitions inaccessible.
    2. It's not compatible with number of third-party Boot Management applications.
    3. Last but not least, it won't be accessible if the system disk MBR gets corrupted or the disk itself fails.

Regards

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Menorcaman is correct, Acronis Startup Recovery Manager overrides the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the hard drive with its own code that provides you with the option to load Acronis True Image from Secure Zone during computer startup. If you have any other third party boot manager installed, then you should reactivate it after Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi Menorcaman and all; ;)

Sorry I didn't read the entire post correctly, I was responding to/focusing on this part of the post.
    I took this statement as -> only being able to restore images from the secure zone rather than another location/partition, and not the functionality/dependency of the Recovery Manager on the secure zone. All of which you've explained very nicely as usual. ;) Thanks for following up and clearing up that issue.

My apologies;

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.