Acronis Non Stop Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just want to check if I'm understanding the theory of Acronis Non Stop Backup, Am I correct in thinking After the initial Backup, Acronis will every 5 minutes take a snapshot of my system, and If anythings changed such as a program installation, it will make a complete backup of the system with the new program, so I can rollback to that particular point in time, should anything go wrong thereafter :doubt:

2. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

That's the theory. But in practice, it never worked for me. Twice I tried to use it to recover and whole system, twice it failed. That was with ATI2012. Only real image backups worked.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thanks MarcP ;) Interesting to know that, I have a question though! did you use Acronis Secure Zone? or did you just Backup to a standard image? I have Secure Zone Active, and I've just created a Standard Backup too, after reading your reply

4. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

No, I was using an external USB drive. And also sometimes NSB would stop... ironically. Stop and never start again. But that was before Update 2 so I don't know if it was fixed.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

NSB Acctually works for me............however if I go back a few days, and then return to the same day, I get told I'm signed in with a tempory account, cant access my files, and to log off, and log back in a while to delete the temporary account, which doesnt work when I do that BTW

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

To be honest wit you, I have always disabled the Acronis Non-Stop Backup and Acronis True Image Monitor from start up in both Acronis True Image 2011 and 2012.

I also thought of the theory as you did and that didn't sound good to me because I don't want any automatic backups taking place, I want to do it manually. Which is the exact same reason why I disable System Restore in Windows as soon as I format.

this is what I do:

1) Install Windows, activate it, perform all Windows updates, configure all settings and folder locaitons to my likings, clear all temp folders/files, then create an image called Windows

2) Install All Drivers, then check if there are any more Windows updates, then clear all temp folders/files, then create an image called WindowsDrivers

3) Install Office 2010, activate it, configure outlook, perform the new Windows updates pertaining to Office 2010, reboot, clear all temp folders/files, then create an image called WindowsDriversOffice

4) Install all my other apps and enjoy

When anything wrong happens or when there is a big driver update such as he Chipset Drivers or Rapid Storage Technology, I go back to the 1st Image which is Windows in order to perform a clean install again of all the drivers then I recreate all the other images such the WindowsDrivers and WindowsDriversOffice as they now have newer drivers installed

This has always worked like a charm for me but every person has a diff. way of doing this

7. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

The main thing I hate of Non Stop Backup is that everything is incremental with hundreds of small incremental backups. You just need one bad one in the chain and the whole thing is screwed. One blue screen or power outage to make one bad molecular incremental backup and the rest goes bad.

I prefer daily differential backups starting with a known and tested good full backup. I don't need something happening every 5-10 minutes.

8. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Exactly! That's overkill

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I think that earlier versions had a scheduler time adjustment, but cant find it in 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.