Acronis newbie- Operating System Missing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by balloon_tom, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Registered Member

I have just tried to clone a drive with my new TI11 Home Migrate add-on. The result is "OPERATING SYSTEM MISSING". Perhaps what I am trying to do is not possible, but here's the scenario:

My sister has run out of disk space on her C: partition (Sony VAIO desktop). She has a 80gb EIDE drive with 3 partitions: C: (15gb), D:50gb, and a EISA partition with about 5gb.

We want to replace this drive with a 150gb EIDE with C: and D: about 70gb each and the balance as EISA.

I have installed TI11 on to my computer: an Intel based MB with XP Pro on a 300gb SATA set as C:

I have installed the 80gb drive to clone in my primary EIDE slot as D: and E:

I have installed the new 150gb drive in my secondary EIDE slot.

The BIOS and Windows Disk Manager recogonize all three dirves.

I have run TI11 cloning, manual mode, and cloned (I think) the 80gb to the 150gb. A comparison of the 2 drives using Windows Explorer bears this out, although the total byte count is slightly different.

I then installed the 150gb drive back into my sister's computer and recieve the error "OPERATING SYSTEM MISSING".

I regret that I did not check the BIOS to see if it recognizes the new drive. Her system is across town, so it's "do something here...try it there" over and over again. I'll check the BIOS later today.

MY QUESTION: Is TI11 designed to do what I'm trying to do? I was able to clone my own C: (SATA) onto the same 150gb (EIDE ) drive and run my own computer with it, so I know that the drive is good.

Any help is appreciated.
    Tom

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Re: Acrnis newbie- Operating System Missing

After you clone, you must shut down the system and remove either the clone or the original drive. If you then boot with one drive in the place where the original was installed, the machine should boot up.

If you leave both drives in and reboot, Windows will become confused about which drive is the system drive and which is the boot drive -- it can't tolerate two drives as system or boot drive. Often, if you just boot up with both drives in place, Windws will mark the clone as not a boot or system drive and then boot up off of the original. The clone, then, will not perform as bootable is you try to use it that way in this or a diff machine. It will have all the same files as the original drive except that it won't be bootable.

3. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Registered Member

Re: Acrnis newbie- Operating System Missing

Good job Schieber!
    I did exactly as before, except, when TI11 finished, I immediately killed the power and removed the 2 EIDE drives. Both drives now boot up in my sister's machine.
    I appreciate the help.
    On this forum, how do I mark a thread as solved?
    Tom

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just saying so let's others know, including those that come by much later with a similar problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.