Acronis loading trouble -> Explanation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cha?, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cha?

Cha? Guest

It is MY HUMBLE OPINION, Acronis support may tell if i'm right or wrong...
    When generating a Full BootCD or disks set, TI writes a tiny Linux environnement with USB/Firewire/PCCARD support (needed for external storage). During the Linux boot process, the Acronis Loader is checking for ACPI signals, wich fails on my notebook whereas it causes no trouble on my desktop. Actually, it depends on your motherboard/BIOS combo... Generating a safe version CD simply forgets external storage support, therefore it does not write/load the special Linux tiny distrib.
    So Acronis should give the choice of generating a CD with external storage support (Full version) or not (Safe version) and ADD an option to select ACPI support or disabling. That should not be hard to solve, as it only needs some modification in bootwiz.cfg, cdboot.cfg and f11.cfg ie: replacement of "kernel.dat quiet" by "kernel.dat acpi=off quiet" parameters.
    The three cfg files are zip-embedded at the end of Mediabuilder.exe file so it should not be hard to patch it.

2. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Great explanation. :) The bootable CD is very important to me, and this problem is very annoying. :(

I have one question. If I only write images to another local hard drive, do I still need to create the full version CD?

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, liang_mike

What Problem are you having?

If your not sure make one of each. [and use the one that works best]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Actually, I shouldn't call it a problem, but I am referring to the fact that I have to turn off acpi manually for the bootable CD to load.

I am trying to modify f11.cfg to turn off acpi automatically (as suggested in another post). Hopefully, I am doing this right :D

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Please see my reply regarding the modifying of f11.cfg in the previous thread.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

6. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Lost 120GB of data due to not backinp up to CD. Just a thought
    :)

7. TheQuest

Hi, Eliot

liang_mike's talking about making BootDisks.

How did you lost your data if backed up to a different HDD.

Take Care,

8. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Drive failure. Was a nightmare. I know it does not happen often but it does happen, lol.

9. TheQuest

Hi, Eliot

Sorry to hear that Eliot.

Best to backUp to DVD+RW's if you have DVD-RW.

Take Care,

10. Cha?

Cha? Guest

To restore an image from a local drive to another local drive, you needn't create a Full version CD/disks set. Create a Safe Version CD/disks set should be enough, especially if your drives are ATA/IDE. Don't know if it works with SCSI/SATA drives as i don't have any...

11. paule0815

paule0815 Guest

Hello!

How should I open the Mediabuilder.exe File? I tried it with Winzip9 but it does not work!

Thanks in advance for your any help!

paule0815

12. Acronis Support

Hello paule0815,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please note that you do not need to open Mediabuilder.exe with any sort of software. Furthermore, it will be End-User License Agreement violation because you are not allowed to modify any part of Acronis software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. paule0815

paule0815 Guest

Hello Ilya,

Thanks for your reply!

I have problems to start from the "normal" BootCD of TI8, because of a failure in the acpi of a Siemens Panel-PC in a Prodution-Machine. When I start with F11 an type "apci=off quied" at the command-line.

So, I want to start from CD within the predefined "acpi=off"-switch. I tried to change the F11.cfg-File in the TrueImage Directory, but it does not work. Now I search for the other files (bootwiz.cfg and cdboot.cfg) to patch also!

Thanks for your Help!

BR
    Paule0815

14. Acronis Support

Hello Paule0815,

I do understand the situation. Please send your serial number for Acronis True Image to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. paule0815

paule0815 Guest

Hello Ilya,

I have send you the needed Informations by eMail on Friday, but I do not receive any reply from you. Could you please answer asap, because I am staying in China only until Wednessday and the problem have to be solved up to then!

BR
    Paule0815

16. Acronis Support

Hello Paule0815,

I am really sorry for not answering to you for a long time.

I have sent you a reply with the necesary information. Please check your inbox.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.