Acronis kills 2,5" SATA - reproducable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acrosams, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acrosams

acrosams Registered Member

Initial situation:
    All Hard disks 2.5" SATA.
    Compability test:
    New hard disk 160 GB installed internal. BIOS shows 160 (15x) GB Size correctly.
    New hard disk partitioned and formatted and WinXP SP2 installed to show compability with BIOS, Board and System. BIOS new, Notebook Dell Notebook INSPIRON 6400 built 4/2006 and sold in this configuration today still (Great Notebook!).
    With Acronis True Image Home 10 Build 4850
    Windows XP SP2

Problem:
    Cloning source old disk I 80GB SATA (internal) to target disk II 160GB SATA (external, SATA USB housing).
    Acronis Options: Non removable disk clones, automatic mode. After reboot, process, Status messages: ... partition1 -> 2 ,..cluster Size 4MB -> 8MB... operation successfully.
    .. Acronis Cloning Status prompt: “Successful”

Now Hard Disk II put internal. Whats that: BIOS shows only 80 (7x) GB instead of 160 (15x) GB! Lost 80 GB!!! Hard disk has now half the size!!:eek:

Same with other new disks: with another fresh hard disk III, 160GB, Acronis manual mode (Partition sizes changed manually, one of the new partitions set to 125 GB). Same result. Now I have two new disks of 160GB destroyed by Acronis to 80 GB!:isay:

Repair attempts: (all did not change disks back to 160 GB nor show 160 GB as a label of the disks displayed)
    o Acronis True image: add new hard disk - Partitioning
    o Samsung HUTIL (option re-establishment of the "native Size" (160 GB is recognized correctly by the tool) prompt: successful; option low level formatting prompt: successful) – Result: still 80 GB.
    o Fdisk
    o xfdisk
    o Windows NT 4,0 Windisk
    o Windows XP SP2 disk manager
    o Windows XP SP2 on hard disk II internal installed: Scandisk
    o hard disk II via USB attached: Scandisk via Notebook internal disk I (old 80 GB cloning source)
    o Killmbr

All Tools show 80 (7xGB) instead of 160 (15x GB). Repartitioning and formatting do not help.

PLEASE HELP ME! Thank you very much in advance!:ouch:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. acrosams

acrosams Registered Member

Thank you very much, I could recover my Hard Disks on my Dell Inspiron 6400.
    :rolleyes:

However, I was not successfull in bringing the main partition from the Dell original stripset (after the hidden partition)
    to the new formatted hard disc on partition I.
    After recovering via Acronis BootCD from Backupfile on partition II of the new disc to partition I of the new disc, system hang on Loginscreen without showing Loginnames and -buttons and Shutdownbutton.
    Repairing with original DellWinXP took 3,5 hours (! extra slow motion) and did not work properly.

I think, Acronis should better not be used with Dell at all.
    I have given in.:'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.