Acronis is not alone?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by domg, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domg

domg Registered Member

As you can see below, Acronis is not alone in having problems with its latest (over-ambitious?) release.

I thought you might be interested to see comments on Amazon made by 3 recent (March) purchasers of Ghost 14.0...

Just hope that Adams doesn't own a Dell computer :cool:

dom

=================
    By Adams (UK)

I purchased Ghost 14.0 specifically to take a complete backup of my new Vista machine, to enable me to restore it to 'as new' condition in future. Although Ghost installed OK, I have not been able to make any backup at all, getting the same error message each time.

I've spent some hours in online chats with Symantec support, including a considerable amount of time in queues waiting to speak to an analyst. When I did manage to speak to an analyst, I was passed to a further 2, before the last analyst finally admitted that they were not Ghost trained.

Failing to receive a promised call from a technician, I was forced to call the US for technical support, possibly costing more than I paid for the product! After 2 hours of an analyst taking control of my machine, Ghost still wasn't working.

I'm still waiting for the promised return call from a technician with a fix.

So, I'm asking for my money back, to try Acronis instead!

=========================

By Leevoy C. Smith "Lee" (Tonbridge, Kent, England.)

I also had version 10 till I got told that support had finished and I needed to move on.

I did, however, symantec should have built upon 10 rather than trying to move away from the ease of 10.

If you're new to imaging I would steer clear of this product, however if you have the time and skill then stick with it.

I suggest if you buy it, then there was a big live update for it, maybe that has repaired errors the other comments experienced.

==========================

By Mr. R. J. Naish (UK)

I like the other reviewer purchased the product for exactly the same reason.

Having had no problems with Ghost 10 I did not expect any with this one.. How wrong could I have been?

I installed it OK but it simply refused to back my Laptop.Twice the error message came up ,Error 800706be "Running Job:Drive of back up of os(c:/),recovery(D:/) lapse time 13:04..

So it tried but then gave up, just like I did.. I am sorry to say it has been returned (not a thing I do very often) to Amazon..

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's not jsut Ghost and ATI, all bafkup progs have the same sorts of probs-- just in diff degrees. ATI had no more than most until ATI 11.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how can you say that?
    i have never had problems with paragon,drivesnapshot or image for windows
    acronis never made a succesful image.
    norton ghost works fine but i didnt like the norton like naggness or the slowness of it lanching.

4. domg

domg Registered Member

I'm always amazed to find how full the world is of people who say "How can you say that? I've never had any problems!" :cool:

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I just boot from a Norton Ghost 2003 floppy for XP/Vista/ide/sata drives to create/restore images.

Came across another way to backup XP that seems a bit weird but according to the poster works fine.
    Bold Fortune Link

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ATI is not alone, but SP is alone. It's lonely at the top. :)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think one of the issues with Acronis is too many really unnecessary features, which is where the troubles start. Also many of the users aren't as familiar with what they are doing, and that can lead to trouble.

SP has fewer problems, but it is wrung out in the corporate world first, and Johnny newbie who's heard he should image, won't likely try SP.

So you have to factor in a lot of things in making judgements.

Pete

8. RAD

RAD Registered Member

It is not just "having a problem" that makes Acronis unique; it is "false advertizing" on ATI10 (which does not restore Vista images without third party tools), "complete lack of support", "marketing bug-fixes as new versions" that you are expected to pay a slightly discounted price for, and never fixing the bugs in the buggy prior versions.

So, yes, Acronis is alone; at least in my exerience.
    Maybe I am the luckiest guy in the world, but I have never before bought software that simply didn't work and the company never fixed it. Maybe that is why I was too naive and trusting when buying ATI10. Oh well, live an learn. :D

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i learned the hard way as well when i found it didnt work and wouldnt uninstall properly.

10. domg

domg Registered Member

SP? South Park? Bit off topic, no?

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Storagecraft's Shadowprotect

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

To me ShadowProtect is the top of every IB software I tested. Who is on the top is often lonely.
    I always look at the total picture, I consider ShadowProtect as very useful in combination with other things I worked out for myself.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I could never get SP to work, they did refund my money. ATI 10 works fine for me.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Me either,on my old workstation it never did ( problem unsolved),now i'm only use the recovery CD,it work without problem.

15. appster

appster Registered Member

For me, it's very important that a disk-imaging program provides for backing up outside of Windows (e.g., via DOS, BartPE, WinPE, Linux). Afaik, the past several editions of Ghost simply do not provide that capability!

While SP is highly regarded by members of this forum, it's Boot CD just won't recognize the drives connected to my Promise 378 SATA Controller. In that regard, ATI's Boot CD works very well, but ATI is much slower (for both backup and restore) than my favorite disk-imager Drive Snapshot. :thumb:

Last edited: May 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.