Acronis Home 10 Freezing during Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NorCalAl, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalAl

NorCalAl Registered Member

Greetings all -
    I recently bought a new Dell M1530 and got my apps installed. Made a backup. Then did file copies - made a backup. Within hours, the drive in the M1530 started to fail. Called Dell, got a new drive overnighted. Installed drive and began restore. I selected all partitions.

Little background: The same day I got the apps and files on to the M1530, I rebuilt my 1505 to give to my better half. Used the same Acronis disk and the same USB Passport hard drive (which has all my backup images). That restored just fine. The new machine (the M1530) is Vista Home Premium 64, 2.5ghz core2, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive. Just in case this means anything.

I tried to do a full restore - all partitions. Freezes within minutes. Tried this using both images I created - same result. Finally tried partition by partition. This works till I get to the C drive - which freezes. I've run Dell diagnostics which claim all is fine. I've tried different ports for the USB drive - no joy. I was successful in getting all partitions except C back to the drive. That part of the restore begins, the time remaining starts at 16 minutes and goes to more than an hour - then it freezes.

I'm fairly certain the drive is good. I'm fairly certain the USB drive is good. I'm not so sure of the M1530 in general, but let's assume it's ok. Any suggestions? Is Home 10 known for freezing during restore? Any suggestions at all?? Thanks.

2. JoeBrown

JoeBrown Registered Member

Greetings:

Assuming your using the Rescue CD
    Have you tried the boot switches acpi=off noapic

cheers

3. NorCalAl

I'm using the Acronis CD itself. So how could I make changes to switches - and what would this particular switch affect? If need be, I'll make a CD to do the recovery with that switch. Please explain if you can. Thanks.

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Read the sticky " please read before you post" on the opening page of this forum. If the acpi=off noapic trick works then you can instill it on your "rescue" CD, by making a new one, depending on the Version. I think this started in Version 11 but I am not sure.

5. JoeBrown

Greetings:

No changes are required to the Rescue CD itself.

1- Boot from the Rescue CD
    2- When you see the first menu for choosing which mode to boot (Safe or Full) hit the F11 key to popup a window that will show one line with the word "quiet" minus the quotes
    3- just append acpi=off noapic so the line reads "quiet acpi=off noapic" without the quotes then hit enter.
    4- Highlight the mode you want to boot, MUST be Full in order to access a USB drive.

These switches will disable the APM drivers in the Linux OS. A lot of hardware does strange things behind the scenes with acpi an apic enabled.

These switches will NOT disable APM in the BIOS so next time you restart the system APM will be just as it was before booting the Rescue CD.

cheers

6. NorCalAl

OK - so I'm sorry here, but is the rescue CD the same as the Acronis CD itself? Or is it a CD I create? Because when I boot from the Acronis CD, I get no choices for modes to boot into. Again, if it's something I need to create, I can do that immediately. Can I make the USB drive into the rescue drive?

Strangely, since I've installed the original HD and it's making no noise - but I don't trust it! I'm sorry if I'm asking noob questions or if the answers are plainly obvious on the software, but I am getting somewhat frustrated.

7. JoeBrown

Greetings:

What version of ATI are you using ?

I personally have never used ATI Home 2009, it may be different than the Workstation version so all I can suggest is to make a rescue CD from within your installed version of ATI.

cheers

8. NorCalAl

ATI Home 10.

However, I've created a "Rescue CD" from the app and I've done a new fulldrive backup, so I think I'm good to go with the restore now. Should it continue to freeze, I'll make note of it in this thread.

Actually, whether success or failure, I'll come back and notify you all.

Thanks so much for the help and direction. And actually, Dell has been pretty helpful as well. They are coming Monday to replace the keyboard and check the fingerprint reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.