Acronis Help!! Corrupt Images!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TeamShocker, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeamShocker

TeamShocker Registered Member

Acronis Team,

I need help desperately! I have been using your Drive Image 8.0 product at a customers office as a backup solution. (Currently Ver. 8.0 Build 786.) They called me yesterday with a computer problem and when I arrived the box was dead. I proceeded to recover the disc with your startup utility using the incremental images that were running nightly. The images are being stored on a Snap!2200 NAS device and the originals (created in Jan '05)were tested and verified.

We copied the incrementals to a USB 2.0 Hard Drive because I couldn't see the Snap! in the Linux boot version of Acronis. While attempting to recover the latest incremental backup I found that the customer hadn’t been verifying the images! Oops! The restore process has found the images to be corrupt. I was able to restore my Original Images but all data from Jan '05 on was lost!

I know the incremental images from the other computers in the office (currently 2 others) are working properly as I verified them last night. The only bad incremental images were for the computer that died.

Is there any way to recover any data from these incremental images? I don't even need everything mainly one file directory! What can I do/ Acronis do for disaster recovery assistance? I haven't tried doing an update to the latest build yet, but if that doesn't work what are my options?

Desperate For Data Recovery,
    Chris

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I can be of little assistance, but one question:
    Did you verify that the copy process copied all data correct? (MD5 verification etc.).

3. TeamShocker

Didn't verify the copy I used but the customer copies the images nightly to have out of office copies. I tried multipe drive that they were using with no success. I also tried the other images (from different computers in the office)on the same drive and had success.

How would I do the verifacation you posted MD5?

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I use NERO MD5 verifier or digestIT 2004.
    NERO MD5 verifier is a stand alone program, digestIT 2004 installs in your right click mouse menu.
    To verify calculate a MD5 hash from the original, and compare that to the generated MD5 from the copy :)

5. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

An observation from a non-professional - could it be that the images on the Snap! are okay and the corruption has taken place during the transfer to USB?
    Is there any way that you could transfer the images onto another HDD or other media in an attempt to see if that would work, perhaps utilizing one of the other PC's available?

Hopefully someone more informed can give you a precise solution, but it might be worth trying.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TeamShocker,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

You may use any MD5 calculating utility (for example, the one is available at our site) to compare the checksums. If you were able to verify the image on NAS you should have been able to restore it. If you need to extract single file please try to mount the image under Windows using the "Explore Image" tool. After that you will get new virtual drive in My Computer that can be accessed in read-only mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. TeamShocker

I am running a Verify Image on the Snap! Appliance directly right now.

8. TeamShocker

Ilya,

If this doesn't work is there anything your company can do to help. Extract files if we send you the images? Worst case.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TeamShocker,

We regret to infrom you that we do not provide any utility to recover corrupted images though we are planning to develop it in future. Please note that even if the image appears to be corrupted sometimes it is still possible to explore it and extract most part of files there.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.