Acronis hangs on Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by frefel, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frefel

frefel Registered Member

Does this mean I can't trust Acronis for disk recovery?

I am trying to move the entire backed up disk contents of a sick sounding HD to a new one I´ve installed in my Thinkpad T22. Using an Acronis Home 9 boot disk I go to Restore Data Wizard > browse to the .tib back up saved on an external USB HD (D) > ¨Restore disks or partitions¨ > select Disk 1 to restore (C) > hangs with no progress to the next screen which should be Restored Hard Disk Drive Location.

The Acronis boot recovery CD I'm using I made from another computer with another copy of Acronis but that is because this laptop can´t burn CDs and, anyway, it shouldn´t make any difference - aren´t the emergency boot CDs created equally?

Acronis sees the new HD (I have formatted it); is there something else I need to do to it before Acronis will write to it?

It seems to me that this is a classical example of the use of Acronis to utilize a backed up file (in this case the contents of my old C drive) to recover to a new HD before the that HD quits completely but I´m unable to do that.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. frefel

frefel Registered Member

This seems like such a basic thing to do with Acronis yet I can't find anything in a search (hard to define in search terms).
    I'm hoping I can get even just one clue as to what is going wrong but so far no responses.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The rescue cds can be made on any computer. Looks like you did everything right ... in fact you don't even have to format the new drive. Only thing i can think of is to remove any unnecessary usb devices, including hubs. If that doesn't work download the trial version of True Image 2009, make the Rescue CD and try to restore with that. It will restore a ver. 9 image. Be aware though, that during the restore process, the Total progress bar will complete in about 5 seconds whereas, the Current Operation process carries on at the "normal" speed.

4. bbarry

bbarry Registered Member

I agree with DwnNdrty about downloading the trial version of TI 2009. I recently tried to restore from TI 10 and it always hung up, but TI 2009 worked just fine. And yes, the progress bar is something Acronis can't seem to get right. You will think "man, that was fast", but the restore will continue for another hour or two.

5. frefel

frefel Registered Member

Thanks for your replies bbary and DwnNdrty however I think I see something I was doing wrong but still leaves me stuck. By the way I have been using a ATI 9 rescue boot disk.

I have the new HD inserted in the Thinkpad; that is, I have removed the sick one and now this new one is the only internal HD available to the laptop, My external HD that contains the backup .tib image is labeled as C drive. When I boot BIOS can see the new drive. Then I boot with the Acronis CD 9, it can see the backup .tib file on the external drive but when I get to "Partition or Disk to Restore" I note that it is showing only Disk 1 - NTFS (C). I was trying to restore the C drive which is the one from which I want to take the recovery data, not recover it. That is where it was hanging. In other words Acronis is not seeing my new HD to offer it as the target location to restore to, even though BIOS recognizes it.

Is there something I need to do to the new HD to allow Acronis to see it?

6. frefel

frefel Registered Member

I figured out what was wrong so I'll describe it in case someone else searches this topic.
    I just needed to be patient as the screen that was seemingly "hanging" finally did progress to the next - after something like 10 or 15 minutes with no indication during that interval that it was actually doing anything.
    It would be useful if there were a symbol on the screen showing that the Data Wizard was really functioning.

7. mecg

mecg Registered Member

I've been having the same problem with home 2009 and (I believe) the last update of the previous version. It sits for a LONG time (sometimes 10 - 15minjutes) on "Partition Location (Required)" before it shows my options. Anyone know why this is? I have several usb drives attached to the computer - but it never used to do this.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mecg,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please create another Acronis Bootable Rescue Media based on ISOLINUX loader.

We have implemented the possibility to download the appropriate ISO file after logging in to your account (the serial number should be registered). Please log in to your account, go to the Registered products section -> Bootable media. Download the file.

You can find more information on how to burn an ISO image to a CD here and here .

Check the possibility to perform the necessary operation.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.