Acronis for Linux and VMware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by akleo, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akleo

akleo Registered Member

Hi,

I have a question which I need some answers. I do understand that there is no Universal Restore for ATI Linux.

However if I use a ATI for linux to make a image of a Linux machine (eg Redhat or Suse), could I use the Universal Restore and re-create the Linux image into a VMware server for any further testing.

Thanks and Regards.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello akleo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Backup Solutions

Please note, that due the system specifications Universal Restore is necessary only for Windows systems. In case with Linux you can simply restore the image with your Linux system onto your VMware box, and if the Linux kernel has all necessary modules, it will successfully boot-up. Otherwise - you are to reconfigure your Linux kernel and add missing hardware modules.

Please be aware, that nearly every RedHat based Linux distro (e.g. Suse, Mandriva, Fedora Core) possess a application, which is called Kudzu. It is usually executed during system's boot-up process and it probes your machine for new and missing hardware and automatically loads\unloads and configures specific module. So if you have this app (or similar one) - in most cases it will hot plug your hardware without a glance. Otherwise - it will be rather painful process.

In some cases when you restored Linux disk image, it is necessary to reconfigure your boot loader in order to suit your new disk configuration. In this case you can use rescue disk of your distribution to correct your loader's configuration.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

3. akleo

akleo Registered Member

Hi thanks for the reply. So it it is possible to port my linux image into a VMware image. Great that is good news to me. :) Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.