Acronis Echo server hangs during file restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by holden523, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holden523

holden523 Registered Member

Hello all, I have a weird issue with Acronis Echo Server, newest build. Acronis has been working fine for months, until I found I had a bad drive in a software mirror set. After replacing with the new drive and rebuilding the mirror set (again, using a mirror set of dynamic disks), I ran across this issue. The Acronis logs say the backup is successful, but when I go through the process to restore a test file, it completely hangs at the point in the wizard where I select what files I want to restore. I've recreated the backup jobs, ran chkdsk on both my external USB drive and the system drives, and updated acronis to the newest build. There appear to be no issues with the RAID, nothing in the event log and the RAID reports as healthy. I will be attempting to restore these files with a different computer today. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello holden523,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you validate the image within the program? Is it successful?

The issue can be external drive or USB connection, so if it’s possible try to use another USB cable and external drive.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. holden523

Thanks for your reply Dimitry.

I set up a new USB drive there a few days ago, but the problem persists. I also took the original backup drive to a new install of small business server w/ acronis on it and attempted to restore, but encountered the issue there also. It appears the problem lies with the image being created with the RAID in place, as the issue didn't exist before that. The thing is, the RAID is reporting absolutely no issues at all. :(

I will try to validate and tell you what I get.

4. holden523

Ran the validate routine. It reports operation successful. Not a hint of a problem in the logs.

5. Acronis Support

Hello holden523,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Could you please mount and Explore the archive and copy the desired file to, for example, internal hard drive? Is this possible? Also, could you please try to recover the file from Acronis Booting rescue media?

All these operations will help to localize the issue. Please let us know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

6. holden523

Was able to mount successfully. However upon accessing My Computer, machine hung very badly for about 5 minutes, then showed local drives (including mounted image). Upon accessing image, went through another few minute hang. Once I could see the files, though, the performance was normal, ie I could drill down through the folders at normal speed. Upon backing up to the root, The machine hung up again for a few minutes before showing the contents of the image.

will try the full restore soon and let you know what i get from that.

7. holden523

Also, not sure what this means, but when I mounted the image it created two mounted drives, though i only mounted one partition. The two mounted drives contain the same data. When I unmount them, only one has an unmount option, and it unmounts both drives when I click it.

8. Acronis Support

Hello holden523,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

You should disable automount is Diskpart, one drive should disappear.

Could you please try to restore a file from Acronis Booting Rescue Media? Also, what is the size of the image and the source partition?

Also, please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

9. holden523

Here's the report. i'll try to use the boot media and report back shortly. i tried to restore a full partition to different hardware using universal restore, but it doesnt appear to have worked. I'll try a single file.

***Update***

Actually did get the full partition restore to work, after running a FIXMBR on the restored drive. Access to the drive is terrible though. I'm thinking I need to redo my RAID array at this point. Will let you know how that turns out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. holden523

Issue resolved. Acronis wasnt the issue, I had run a burn in test on the drive usin Passmark's burn in tool, and the program created 168000 temp files in the root of C. Once I removed those temp files, everything worked again. Thanks to everyone who helped me track down the problem. I appreciate it!

11. Acronis Support

Hello holden523,

Thank you for your feedback. I am really glad to hear that you have found the solution.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.