Acronis doesn't like Adaptec ATA controller

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TalWolfe, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalWolfe

TalWolfe Registered Member

During boot, Acronis emergency boot CDs give errors sim to:

hde: bad access : block .......
    hdf: bad access : block ......

These look intimidating. I experimented a bit and found that they
    disappear when I pull the Adaptec ASH-1233 ATA controller (Silicon
    Image Chipset).

The drives attached are new and have been chkdsk'd several times
    after formatting. Both 300gb seagates. Nothing unusual.

Oddly enough, Acronis does not complain about an off-brand (Syba)
    SATA controller which is about the only thing from a non-major
    manufacturer.

Any ideas about the error? I suspect that it is related to the Adaptec
    hardware.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TalWolfe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 889 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Than create a new bootable CD and try to boot from it. Could you please let us know you can boot in Acronis Rescue Media or not?

If the problem persists with the latest build, please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. TalWolfe

TalWolfe Registered Member

Your reply is appreciated, Irina.

Thanks for the instructions re generating more verbose output. That should help.

The systems do indeed boot from the rescue media (CD). That's what issues the error messages. They are not booting to the controller mentioned in the error msgs, and we don't keep system backups on those drives, so the errors may not be a problem in backup and restore. We're simply trying to figure out where they originate in case there is an underlying driver or firmware problem.

Several of my clients' machines are affected by the symptoms mentioned. All have the same Adaptec controller. Given a couple other intermittent problems, I was ready to blame the controller. I'm fairly sure that the Acronis software version is 8, but build is probably a month or two old. Are you saying that your version 8, 889 build is known to cure this exact problem or message? If so, then I trust that the Adaptec controllers are not to blame(?)

Thanks,
    TW

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TalWolfe,

We do recommend that you update all Acronis software and create new Acronis Bootable Media with the latest build. The bootable CD uses standard Linux drivers, it is simply a 'safe' set of drivers that will work for most hardware, each new build includes more drivers, the main fixes implemented and many minor fixes as well.

Please note, that your contoller is supported in the latest build, if the problem remains please send the information requested above to support@acronis.com. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.