Acronis disaster - Please help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pjsmith, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjsmith

pjsmith Registered Member

Hello,

I was trialling the True image software, and tested it on my personal PC. It seemed fine, so I tried it on a couple less important new servers (installing the agent remotely), this seems to have worked OK as well. So, a few days have passed, and I pluck up courage to install it on the important machine I actually want to protect. I installed the client yesterday but could not reboot until early this morning as the server is always in use. Rebooted this morning, and the entire E: partition is blank!! No data at all!

I've rebooted again, uninstalled the remote client, still nothing. Run a chkdisk on the partition, which reported no errors.

I've lost data, had an hours downtime that we cannot afford.

A dataprotection product should never do anything like this, even if it is a 1 in a 1000 chance. I had initially decided to give TI the benifit of the doubt, despite all the problems posted on this board, but now I don't think I'd ever touch TI software again.

I'm hoping someone might have some advice on how to get the partition data back in a hurry?

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Unless someone comes up with a suggestion using TI to get your data back, I would google 'data recovery' and use one of those programs to try and recover your data.

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

I would give the program "testdisk" a try. It helped me several times ;-)

Be careful with the usage. Wrong Usage can do severe damage to your data..
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Volker

4. pjsmith

Hi,

Thanks. I did find this one, and I've tried it, but it didn't get anything back. It looks like acronis kept the partition, it just wiped the MFT.

The drive is still there with the original drive letter, it's just been wiped

I've now spent all day cleaning up this mess, and will need to spend another day rebulding the system. I've also lost a days data. Not exactley 'backup', is it :(

5. rbmorse

rbmorse Registered Member

PJ, do you have ANY idea what may have happened? Drive e: got wiped, was that the drive to which TI was installed?

6. pjsmith

I did a remote client install, and rebooted. That's it. Didn't install anything on the actual machine other that the default remote client install.

Rebooted next morning, drive e: empty :(

There are 2 partitions on this dynamic drive, C: with XP, the system partition, and E:, which is another partition on that same physical drive and held all the data.

The hardware is fine, so I'm assuming TI did somthing in the reboot which it said it needed in order for the client to work. That's the only reason I rebooted the server.

I'm currently running ZAR data recovery on it to try and recover some data.

7. pjsmith

Actually, I must correct myself.

I _tried_ a remote install, but it would not. Complained about permissions.

I installed the remote client manually from the machine using the same install file I used for everything else.

8. pjsmith

'PC Inspector' has managed to recover the 212,000 files that TI killed, but they have no names, so I'm left with sorting through and renaming them manually.

Think I'll try Livestate now!

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pjsmith,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image have you installed on your server?

You can find the full version name and build number either by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window or by right-clicking on the installation file in Windows Explorer and checking the 'Version' tab in it's 'Properties'.

- What operating system is installed on the server having the issue?

- Describe the way you installed Acronis Agent in detail;

- Did you perform any other actions or used any other software that might have affected your second partition before, during or after the Acronis Agent installation?

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.