Acronis + clone + GRUB

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by najeebsyed2, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. najeebsyed2

najeebsyed2 Registered Member

Hello all,
    I am having issues after I clone my Acronis disk. I have successfully cloned a smaller disk onto a larger disk using Acronis True Image Server for Linux. The origional drive had RAID 1 on it and the resulting clone also had RAID 1 and all the same partitions as the origional. However, the new disk has a lot more allocated space left on it.

Now, when I attempt to boot from the cloned disk, I get the following Errors:

1) Attempting Boot from CD-ROM
    Attempting Boot from Hard Drive
    - this is after I used the GRUB utility to allow GRUB to boot this newly cloned disk.
    - I used the following command: grub> set (hd0)
    -This worked successfully.

2) The second error I get is:

Ext3-FS: Unable to read superblock
    mount: error 22 mounting ext3
    mount: error 2 mounting none
    switchroot: mount failed:22

umount /initrd/dev failed:2
    Kernel panic - not Syncing: Attempted to Kill init.

Can anyone help o_O

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'm not familiar with Raid, and I've only just started to get into Linux, the Ubuntu 7.10 flavour. But maybe my tests on cloning will help you.
    My test was to clone a basic Ubuntu install from a 3 gig to a 17 gig. I used the bootable Rescue cd of True Image 9 build 3677.

Whenever I used the Automatic features of the process, True Image would tell me that something was wrong with my destination drive, even after I used chkdsk and a zero- write program on it.

I eventually used the Manual feature followed by the "As Is" feature in the next dialog window. This produced a working clone but with some un-allocated space. (I expected this.) I then followed up with the Secure Zone trick to combine the un-allocated space with the rest of the drive.

I hope this helps.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup software

najeebsyed2, could you please clarify what version of GRUB you're using? I was not able to get information about this GRUB 'set' command. Could you please try to clone the hard drive once again and reactivate GRUB after cloning process?

Regarding the second error message. Most probably this error message means that root was not mounted for some reason. It can be caused by lack of drivers, incorrect system information or probably the first step (with 'set' command).

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.