Acronis CleanUp poorly written, wipes out TrueCrypt system encryption [UpperFilters]

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jackm, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackm

jackm Registered Member

TrueImage 2009 demo will not uninstall, failing with securezone_upgrade_standard crash.

Acronis recommended solution: Acronis Clean Up Utility

Program run, all fine, until reboot.

Disaster ensues. Vista with TrueCrypt system encryption fails to boot, error message: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Stop 0x000000ED

What the F&*% is this?

After much searching and reading nobody has this specific issue, but some clues give me an idea.

View the Acronis Clean Up Utility source, yes, there it is:
    Code:
    Reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /v UpperFilters /f 1>nul 2>&1
    Reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /v UpperFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d PartMgr /f 1>nul 2>&1
    You've gone and wrecklessly wiped out my UpperFilters value without even looking inside it. Lucky for me you're smart enough to know exactly what should go in there. Thank you very much!

The fix, should anyone else find themselves in this situation is to boot into an alternate Windows environment, mount the TrueCrypt system volume, load the SYSTEM hive in Regedit and add 'truecrypt' to "[HKLM\SYSTEM\]ControlSet00X\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}":UpperFilters for both values of X.

Thanks to the lazy programmer at Acronis who couldn't spare a few more minutes to write a proper solution to the UpperFilters value. :cautious:

2. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

This is not a universal problem. If this was due to being a problem with Acronis, then EVERYONE would experience the same problems.

This happened due to USER ERROR, in this case, it was something silly that you did to cause it happening in the first place.

Next time, read the manual and study how to use the program properly before you do anything.

3. jackm

jackm Registered Member

Correct. Many problems with products are not universal and are situation specific.

Incorrect. Products often cause situation specific problems. As a result only some users experience those problems.

I read the manual: http://www.acronis.com/support/kb/articles/958/index.html
    It does not mention replacing the UpperFilters value. It does not mention replacing the value without reading the existing value first.

The REG_MULTI_SZ UpperFilters can store more than just PartMgr. This is by design. Sloppy programming would ignore this design and delete the value outright before replacing it with a value that it assumes will be correct, instead of reading it. This is what Acronis Clean Up Utility does.

Examples (not including values Acronis themselves use: snapman, tdrpman147 etc):
    bcfnt, DeepFrz, diskperf, hotcore, hotcore2, hotcore3, pssnap, SafeBoot, Sgeflt, Shockprf

I applaud your valiant attempt to come to the defence of our poor victim, the Acronis programmer. I commend you on your nobility. But in your zeal your blind defiance has retarded your comprehension causing you to make silly statements that obfuscate the real issue. I have bolded the important section for you in case you get confused again.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.