Acronis boot 'manager'

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Prospero_, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prospero_

Prospero_ Guest

After installing Ubuntu 5.04 and grub in the MBR of my primary partition, and after deactivating and activating OS Selector, Acronis boot 'manager' is still blind.

Acronis doesn't see the Linux OS, actually it prevents me from booting it because Grub is apparently obscured by the Acronis boot 'manager'.

There is no option to manually configure a new OS and it doesn't recognise anything. Any suggestions?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Prospero_,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Could you please describe what operating system is currently accessible for you? What boot loader do you see when you turn on the computer?

Please try to install GRUB to the partition where Linux is installed using the command:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hdXY

Where X is a letter corresponding to your disk (for example: hda, hdb, etc.) and Y is a number describing the partition (forexample: hda0, hda1, etc.). After that please try to deactivate and then activate Acronis OS Selector again.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  3. Prospero_

Prospero_ Guest

I'm using Windows XP pro. The bootloader I see at startup is the Acronis boot 'manager'. I'm not sure if it's possible to specify where to put GRUB during the install process, besides this would imply re-installing the Linux distro, so this is not an option. Please try to find another solution.

This software shouldn't have been released as stable! It doesn't work! Pre-alpha with severe warnings would have been more appropriate.

4. JohannesH

JohannesH Registered Member

>>>After installing Ubuntu 5.04 and grub in the MBR of my primary partition...<<<

As you say, you have installed grub into the MBR of prim. disk. If you do that you completely overwrite OS_Selector (Acronis Boot Manager) and it cannot work any more. This is not a fault of OS_Selector is is the wrong place for installation of grub if you want to continue to use OS_Selector.

What you have to do is install grub into the boot (/boot) partition of your linux installation. If you dont have a seperate /boot partition then it must go into the root (/) partition.

I dont know how you can change this now. The linux distributions I know (e.g. SuSE) let you specify all this during installation.

Johannes

5. memilm

memilm Registered Member

the problem is that osselector can not recognize the other os installed on harddrive except from those they overwrite mbr. It will be nice to have an enhancement to manually/automatically search on all harddrives for installed os.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.