Acronis Backups routinely failing.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mawillia, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mawillia

mawillia Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image Home v10.0 (build 4,942) with windows XP service pack 3. I am trying to back up data from my C drive (SATA) to a second local "F" drive (SATA).

Each day when I get in I have a dialog box open with the following dialog:

Failed to backup file or folder '{somefile}'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0AEF
    (0x1003EB)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC00: Retry/Ignore/Cancel

Where "somefile" is one of several files in the directories I am trying to backup. Retry continuously fails. If I ignore, I get the same error on another file further down the line.

These files are all OK. I can read them perfectly fine. I have done a scandisk and ran other disk integrity checks. All Good. How can I fix this problem?

At the moment, Acronis fails to perform it's most basic expected function.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try chkdsk /r instead of scandisk.

3. mawillia

Did that. Worked fine. Still cannot make a basic data backup. I get the same type of errors. Any other advice? Or should I try to find a different product? I've gone 3 months without a backup now....

4. PVSmith

PVSmith Registered Member

I have the very same thing happening, and has happened daily since I upgraded to 2009 version. Most of these files where the error occurs have been *.dbf files, and have been relatively old. I have opened up these files and saved them as an Excel file, or deleted them, to try to get the backup to work. (So much for trying to back up the files that I started with.) After almost a month of doing this manual clean up, I think I have almost gotten to where the system will back up like it used to.

5. mawillia

That won't work for me. I have large directories of tif file and other data files that are used by scripts for automated tests. This software needs to either work or I need to switch to something like Amanda...

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have excellent results using TI but I only use it for imaging where its capability is required for restoring a bootable drive.

For data files I do not want them dumped into a big, proprietary format container file which TI and similar products do. I use SyncBackSE for all my data files which preserves their native format and file structure in the backup. One screwed up file means one screwed up file - not the risk of losing the entire container.

I also put my data files on a different drive or logical drive than my OS and applications so any Windows, virus or other issues means I can blow away and restore my C drive without worrying about my data files.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

mawillia,

Do you try to backup the system partition or data files?

If you backup the system partition, please install SnapAPI update file available here, reboot the computer to complete the changes and see if the issue remains.

If you backup files and folders, in the task options, set the compression level to none.

Try running separate backup tasks, so that the amount of files in a onetime backup will be reduced.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.