Acronis and DELL Latitude D620

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zzzz73, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

I have a DELL Latitude D620 and want to create a harddisk image for backup purposes. I have downloaded the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Trial Version build 3567.

After creating the Acronis TI Boot CD(using a CD-RW) I reboot the system using this CD. The CD bootup the system and I chooses the FULL version to start TI.

PROBLEM:
    When I try to do a Backup/Restore, the DVD drive( D: ) is not detected. Only my HDD( C: ) and the "Computer Near Me" are available.

If I were to create images into DVD-/+R(W), How to restore the images using this method?

The funny thing is that when I boot up my Desktop PC with this boot CD, all the drives available in the PC are shown.

I am using WinXP Home for my D620 notebook and WinXP Pro for my Desktop PC.

I've tried using the linux command "quiet apci=off noapic" before booting up the ATI (FULL) version. But ( D: ) is still not available.

I've remove the "quiet" command and these are the last few lines that are printed on the screen.

----- start of print out ----
    $ /bin/insmod/sunrpc
    sunrpc.o: no module by that name found
    $ /bin/insmod snapapi
    Using /lib/modules/snapapi.o
    Warning: loading snapapi will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary
    See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules.
    snapapi_init: Snapapi(v.0.7.0) init OK. Session Size 6670
    $ /bin/insmod md_mod
    Using /lib/modules/md_mod.o
    md: md_driver 0.90.0, Adaptec md 0.1.0, MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    $ /bin/rm -rf /etc/codepage /etc/pcmcia
    $ /bin/sh

BusyBox 0.60.5(2006.03.24 - 13:12+0000) Built-in sh (lash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

/ #
    ----- End of Print out -----

Please advise.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

True Image doesn't have drivers to write to DVD disks. You have to format DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks with a packet writing utility such as Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, Nero's InCD or Sonic's DLA.

TI can write to CD-R disks, but it takes too many to be practical on Windows XP systems.

The best solution for a notebook backup is an external USB 2 hard drive. I just finished backing up a Dell Latitude D610 with about 6.5GB used on the hard drive to an external USB 2 drive in just over 10 minutes using TI 9.3567.

You can burn the backup image to DVD disks later if you need a copy on optical media.

3. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

The problem that I am facing is NOT whether Acronis TI can write to DVDs. The problem is that the Acronis TI BootCD does not see the D620 DVD Drive. So even if I manage to copy whatever images into DVDs for backup, I will not be able to restore them.

Acronis TI BootCD cannot see the D620 DVD Drive.

But the same BootCD can see all the drives available in my Desktop PC, which contains 1 FDD, 1 HDD(SATA), 1 DVD(IDE) and 1 Zip Drive(IDE).

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Must be something peculiar with the chipset that the laptop dvd drive uses.

Or by any chance do you have these connected:

Multiple usb devices including hubs
    Wireless keyboard or mouse

Those items tend to make TI not work right sometimes.

5. anqi2000

anqi2000 Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem.

I tried to restore the system on my Dell Inspiron E1505 from a DVD-r disk. However the DVD-rom can not be shown in the list of my system. Frustrating!!

There is no problem for the same procedure with my old DELL desktop.

Anybody can help?

6. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

Maybe I am the only one in the World that uses a D620 with TI.

I've tried removing my MS Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000, but no differences. That's the only thing that I connected to the USB port.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Look at the drive tree very carefully and try every drive letter shown, your CD drive may have any letter.

8. anqi2000

I did but no help

9. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

So do I. Extremely sure that no other drives are present.

10. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Looks like your drive is a proprietary external drive, it's drivers may not even exist for Linux.

Edit: No, Linux can see this drive -- see here:http://www.fzu.cz/~kolorenc/d620/

So Acronis could fix this if they wanted to.

11. anqi2000

I found a similar comment on Amazon.com. It claims that TI8 can't locate the DVD driver but TI9 DOES work. Is there any patch or something for this problem?

12. jmk94903

Sounds like a good time to try the Bart's PE Builder boot disk and see if you can see the drive there both for writing and reading.

13. anqi2000

any further information?

14. jmk94903

The Bart's PE Builder web site is:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

You need to add the TrueImage 9 plugin to the disk. It is available in your Program File / Acronis folder if you did the complete installation.

The Bart's PE Builder CD boots to a limited Windows XP environment with all the Windows drivers for hard drives, USB drives and CD/DVD drives and with the Windows version of TrueImage 9.

15. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I've tried out the PE Builder. The DVD drive is visible in TI9 when I boot up with BartPE BootCD with TI plug-in.

However, it seems that whenever I remove the BootCD from the drive, the system hangs.

It seems that I am unable to restore CD/DVD using this method.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

zzzz73 and anqi2000, first of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should first register your software at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/

If that doesn't help please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

17. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

Hi, I've submitted a request for technical support (Acronis #573353).

I've not decided on Acronis for my backup software yet - Just evaluating. Heard many talked about the goodness of this software. But quite disappointed when problem arises, and I believe there will be more to come based on the queries in the forum.

Hopefully, Acronis is able to resolve these problems quickly. The worst kind of backup will be one that I THOUGHT I had but fails to work when I need it.

18. anqi2000

please let me know the update if it is solved

19. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

I've sent them my drive's Make/Model: NEC DVD+/-RW ND6650A.

Their development team is still in the process of investigating the problem.

You may want to submit a request for techical support and let them specifically look into the problem you're facing, just in case it is DVD driver issue. Unless you're using the same Make/Model as mine.

Hopefully they don't take too long...

20. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

The support team sends me a BootCD .iso image. Using this image, I can see the DVD Drive when I boot up using the BootCD.

21. starlove

starlove Registered Member

I hav esimilar problem to my toshiba too, I have also contacted Acronis but still haven't heard from them yet.....
    How long did you wait until you get the revised bootcd.iso?

thanks

I was a bit upset abt their support service, they sent me an email link to TI 9.0 Trial download, I did try but still....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.