Acronis and boot sector

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Black Mamba, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Mamba

Black Mamba Registered Member

Hello!

I'm a new user here and I've searched a little bit through the forum for boot problems threads but I didn't got a clue for my little issue.

So... I used Acronis TrueImage for the first time for a restore operation on my new PC (so maybe what I'm asking is a normal thing to happen) to restore my C partition. But... after I restarted my PC to begin the operation there were some beeps, a BIOS message (I think) appeared and warned me that my boot sector was going to be modified. "Press Y to accept or press other key to continue the operation without......". Since I was afraid, I pressed other key and the operation went fine. I didn't find anything about this in the documentation - I'm using version 8.0 (build 937) version and I did not used Acronis Secure Zone, it was only a normal backup on a different partition.

I have a Epox 8RDA3I mainboard with a Phoenix/Award BIOS and Win XP SP2.

The question is: does somebody any idea why that warning message appeared, what was suposed to be modified and if there is a solution for this?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If you backed up your entire boot disk, the restore will include restoring your MBR (boot sector = same difference). Perhaps your boot sector was OK although the rest of your drive needed a restore. Acronis went to restore your boot sector and that tripped an alarm somewhere (BIOS ?). So, no restore of an OK boot sector and your PC is none the wiser.

That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it. There ARE experts lurking here, maybe one'll show up to confirm or deny my explanation.;)
    :( Unless I'm the only around here that hasn't got something better to do with his Saturday evening... (wife's studying for an Anatomy exam :( )

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  3. plover

plover Guest

Many BIOS's have an option to do a virus check which I believe is a check to see if the boot sector was modified.

I suppose that TI changed your boot sector on the image, in such a way that the BIOS detected this and you got the message. Might not be a big deal depending on what TI changed.

The BIOS virus check can be disabled. Well... usually can be.

4. Black Mamba

Black Mamba Registered Member

I disabled the virus check in BIOS and the problem is gone.

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.