acronis 9 home and choice of bootable media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bwana, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwana

bwana Registered Member

I have a dual layer dvd burner that can also burn cds (pioneer a10:cool:. However, TI9 does not see it. It works fine and nero can use it ok so I dont understand why TI is neglecting it. Help?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

What build of TI9 are you using?

3. bwana

bwana Registered Member

the latest build,3854. And i only have nero 6 installed-not one of those other 'udf' writing cd imaging apps described in the manual. basically, i want acronis to make a bootable cd using this dvd burner . when i insert a blank cd in the pioneer drive, the icon in the explorer browser changes to reflect that ( it changes from dvd to cd) and opening that allows windows to write to it. so why cant acronis? it probably bypasses windows to use its own low level drivers, is my guess. and their algorithm sees the dvd burner and assumes it can burn a cd. can acronis 10 make a bootable dvd?

btw above i specified pioneer a108 but because i put that in parentheses the '8' followed by the right paren got transformed into a smiley.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

One of the workarounds that might work for you is when you put the blank cd in the tray, leave it open and let the TI process close it.

5. thomasjk

Disable the built in WINXP cd burning feature if you haven't already.

6. bwana

bwana Registered Member

tried that-ti doesnt see it.

Tom,

How do i disable Win CD svc?

7. thomasjk

Open "My Computer". Right click on your CD drive and select properties. Then select the Recording tab and uncheck the box that says "Enable Recording on this drive".

8. bwana

bwana Registered Member

thank you for your efforts but it doesnt work. I think i have to go the bartPE way. there are quite a few threads on that here. Which one have you found useful?

9. thomasjk

Look here Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD

10. bwana

bwana Registered Member

thanks again for that pointer. I saw where to put the RAID drivers and the ethernet drivers but there are several other components that are needed as well.

i was wondering where to put the drivers for the chipset(NF4), amd dual core optimizer fix, soundcard (nvidia audio), smbus drivers (these are part of the nvidia forceware drivers but i really dont know what they are for-something to do with managing the PCI bus), and of course, the video drivers.

Is there a way to make a bart pe with the os that currently resides on my hard disk? That OS is properly tuned to my hardware and the way i like it. too bad i just cant copy my windows folder to a dvd and use that-? or is there a way?

11. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yoiu could worry about all the optimization drivers, but I wouldn't bother. Running Windows from a CD is slow anyway, and the optimization isn't really necessary. As far as video, Bart will run fine as standard VGA which all cards support. You don't need game speed for the video. :) Thre's no way to get BartPE to use the installed Windows and drivers.

You might also install TrueImage on another computer and make the Recovery CD there. All Recovery CDs for the same build are the same.

I hope you plan on making your backups to an internal or external hard drive. TI is best when used with a hard drive and often not very good when writing directly to a DVD drive.

Finally, is your DVD writer on a SATA port or a standard IDE (PATA) port. Version 9 had less SATA support than Version 10.

12. bwana

bwana Registered Member

the dvd rw is the pioneer 108 drive- dual layer writer. I guess i should instead consider using a usb stick. After all, you are correct, my .tib file is resident on another hard drive. Why am I bothering with writing bootable rescue media to a cd? I could get a 1 gig usb stick, create the bootable media to that and just boot from there. Is there a good guide that people here like?

13. thomasjk

If you do a forum search there are some discussions about a bootable flash drive for the rescue environment.

14. como

como Registered Member

But not as slow as the Linux Rescue CD.

I don't remember but didn't version 9 have a option to burn a iso file for later burning to a CD on the Create Rescue Media.

15. thomasjk

Yes that is an option.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bwana,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please temporarily uninstall your other cd/dvd burning software and try again. If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

To obtain CD Recorder log, please proceed as follows:
    - Run regedit from Start -> Run;
    - Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\DebugLogs registry key;
    - Please create the folder DebugLogs if it does not exist yet;
    - Add cdrecord value (Type: DWORD; Data: 1);
    - Please reproduce the problem;
    The cdrecord.log will be created in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\DebugLogs folder.

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please notice that as mentioned by como, a possible workaround it to create an iso image and burn it using third-party dvd burning software.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. bwana

bwana Registered Member

Re: acronis 9 home and choice of bootable media SOLVED

In case anyone is interested, the problem lies in Daemon tools. SPTD v 1.43 interferes with access to the dvd player. Upgrading to the beta v1.45 solved my issue. I can now go ahead and make an acronis boot cd with my dvd burner.

BTW, it's been a few days since I submitted the requested info to acronis tech support and they still havent gotten to it. So, Acronis if you are listening, forget about it, I figured it out.

18. bwana

bwana Registered Member

To make matters amusing, Acronis tech support finally answered. They said to uninstall Acronis. and then reinstall it. Sounds like they want a free beta tester. not me. I found the solution. THANKS TO THE WEB AND ITS SEARCH ENGINES!.

19. thomasjk

Did you really expect them to identify a problem with someone else's software that they may not have?:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  20. bwana

bwana Registered Member

Well, they did ask me to send a sys info log as well as a cderror log. Since they deal with this issue all day long, i thought they might have heard of it before. Perhaps my tone was perjorative but I didnt intend it to be. I was just proud that I managed to fix it.

Also, the problem was concurrently solved here>
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175955

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.