Acronis 9 and Go Back question.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danny9, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I've been using Go Back for about 3 years now and recently purchased Acronis 9.
    I have made a full back up on an external hard drive.
    I have read that these 2 programs can conflict with each other.
    My question is this.
    Go Back will restore my computer to an earlier time if something goes wrong.
    If I took out Go Back could I use Acronis for basically the same thing? To fix a bad download for example?
    This maybe a lame question but I don't fully understand the capabilities of Acronis yet.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi Danny9

As you probably know GoBack is running in the background all the time so you can revert your computer back to any safe point it has saved, which are quite frequently.

Acronis however has to be run to take a full or incremental image of your hard drive which can be quite large and take some time to do, therefore is not practical to do on a very regular basis. You can only revert back to any images you have taken.

Both programs in my opinion are very good but they do have different uses, and they can be run together (with provisos).

Hope this helps

3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Yes it helps and thanks.
    Would you know what the provisos are?

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

From Acronis FAQ

Is Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 compatible with Norton GoBack?

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack, but you will need to disable Norton GoBack first if you want to resize a partition (running Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 either in Windows or from bootable rescue media), because Norton GoBack prohibits other applications from changing the partition table. NOTE: When you disable Norton GoBack, you will lose all past history backups and will not be able to undo the changes.

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Goback changes the partition id - it would be worth creating rescue media and checking the TI can recognise the disks.

if it does not you can change them to proper NTFS values manually - but don't boot into window or you will loose goback rsotore points

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi danny9,

If not already done, check out <Acronis True Image Online FAQ #29>.

Regards

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks menorcaman but one question please.
    The first line says its compatible with Acronis True Image 9 except, then it lists exceptions like the stand alone version of Acronis True Image 9. Is there a difference and if so what am I missing here.
    From what I have been reading though it looks like it comes down to one or the other.
    If the computer would not start for what ever reason and I used the Acronis boot disk I think there would be a conflict with GoBack which always starts with the boot up. I don't believe it could be shut off to use Acronis to restore the full image. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks for the help.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again danny9,

When Acronis talk about the "standalone version of True Image" they mean the Linux based rescue environment. You can enter this environment in one of three ways:

1. Boot from the TI rescue CD/floppies.
    2. Let TI reboot the system when restoring the C: partition from within Windows.
    3. Activate the Startup Recovery Manager and press F11 during system boot.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.