Acronis 8 Image Restore problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joe Knobbe, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Knobbe

Joe Knobbe Registered Member

I downloaded and installed Acronis version 8 last August. At that time I created rescue discs along with CD’s of the drive image (there’s not much on the drive so 2 cd’s holds all the data.) currently that computer that we created the discs for has a ban virus and we figured we would just create a new hard drive and swap it out. There is no current data on this machine just the OS and a couple of pieces of software that run off data on our server.

I tried to create a new drive using a formatted drive and the bootable floppies. I get an error message that says the floppies are corrupt.

So I installed windows and then installed Acronis. I figured I would just do a “restore image”. So I start the software. Select “restore image” and go from there. At one point it won’t let me go any further and suggests I restart. It restarts in safe mode (during the boot process the screen shows Acronis loader) I use the Restore Image Wizard and browse to the CD Drive that has the 1st CD on it. I select the CD and choose next. Then it asks for disc 2. I insert disc 2 and move through the prompts. When I get to “restored partition type” and select “Active” I get a message that says I can’t change it. I also get the same message if I choose Primary or Logical.

I’ve downloaded and installed the latest updates and that didn’t make any difference.

I’m stuck and don’t know where to go from here.

Joe

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Joe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please copy the image files from CDs to the hard drive and try to restore your image from there?

If the problem still persists, please clarify whether you restore the image of the entire hard drive or the image of the partition.

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Joe Knobbe

When I copy the files to the hard drive I get a message that i cannot restore to the same partition. Do I need to partition the hard drive or should I restore to a different drive. I could install another drive and try that?

Joe

4. Acronis Support

Hello Joe,

The point is that the image archive can not be restored to the same partition it currently resides on, since during the image restoration this partition needs to be overwritten with the data from the image archive.

Please be aware that it is better not to change the original hard drive's partition configuration (add or remove some partitions), since in this case the restored operating system might not boot (see auto logoff problem, Re: Mr).

If you have any other hard drive available then please copy the image archive from CDs to this hard drive (all volumes should reside in the same folder), connect it to the computer, boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and try to restore an image once more.

If that does not help then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also use a digital camera to make a shots of your consequent steps taken during the image restoration process or describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  5. Joe Knobbe

I successfully copied the files to the drive. Added another drive to the computer and used Acronis to copy the file to the new drive.

The problem is that it appears that only the first selected file was copied to the drive and the image is made up of 2 .tib files. I don’t understand during the process where I’m able to select both files to copy to the drive.

I went through it 3 separate times and still cannot figure out how to copy the second .tib file to the drive. I don’t have the luxury of creating one single file at this point because the original drive with the files I’m trying to copy is infected and I don’t want to copy that drive again.

Thanks for the help.

Joe Knobbe

6. Acronis Support

Hello Joe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe your actions step-by-step?

Please clarify whether you have restored the image from CDs to the new hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.