Acronis 7 - what drive do I save the image to?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CCIuser, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCIuser

CCIuser Registered Member

I currently have a Internal Hard Drive of 75gb capacity.

I am going to buy another Internal Hard Drive today with a 320gb capacity.

On my computer I have Trueimage 7.0 and I want to be able to copy the entire existing drive to transfer to the new hard drive.

Do I save the image under my existing C; drive or do I somehow have to set up a new drive to enable me to process the transfer correctly?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. CCIuser

look forward to any assistance

3. dld

dld Registered Member

The normal procedure would be to install your new 320GB HD as slave and then, using the Rescue CD that you hopefully created using ATI7, to clone your 75GB drive to the 320GB drive, choosing to automatically expand the existing partition(s) to fill the new drive. Once the cloning has completed your computer will want to reboot. Let it power down, but before it reboots, pull the cord on it, remove the source drive and install the target drive as Master, replug and bootup. Later you can reconnect the 75GB drive as Slave, partition and format it and use it for storing images of your system. Read this to understand the reason for proceeding as described.

4. CCIuser

Oh this is just way too complicated. It appears that if I do it wrong I'll stuff up Windows XP altogether. I don't think I'll bother with a backup or image. I'll just leave my 75gb HD as Master and the 320gb as Slave. Then there will be no problems.

Thanks

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CCIuser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that the actual cloning procedure is user-friendly and does not require any special knowledge. You can easily perform it on your own by following the detailed instructions in the chapter 7 “Transferring the system to a new disk” of the respective User's Guide.

Since you did not specify the hard drives types (IDE, SATA etc) we would recommend that you have a look at this article describing the procedure for transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.