Acronis 10 Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dohboy, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dohboy

dohboy Registered Member

Hello, I searched the forums and can't find anything close to my problem. This is a strange one.

I have a machine that was running Acronis 9.1 Server and everything was fine. I bought the Acronis Echo Server upgrade. When I installed Acronis Echo, it got 80% through the install, and then it reported "The installation was interrupted before Acronis True Image Echo Server could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again."

When it exited, I noticed that Acronis Echo was listed in Add/Remove programs. However, when I click "Uninstall" in Add/Remove programs, it starts and then reports the same error that it was interrupted. So I'm in a state now where I can't install and I cant uninstall.

Is there a program I can run which will scrub all traces of Acronis off of my machine so I can start over? I've done so many install/uninstall steps now, trying to put Acronis 9.1 back on, etc that I have no idea what all has transpired. Basically at this point, if I re-install Acronis 9.1, it installs completely but doesn't run. When I attempt to start a backup, it says "Preparing..." and never gets anywhere. I left it sit all night and it never started the backup. So I'm really stuck now. I suspect some parts of Acronis Echo are still installed and conflicting with 9.1.

I think all I need is a tool that will remove all traces of Acronis from my system so I can start over with a fresh install. Please help. Thanks!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try cleaning out your Temp, Temporary INternet Files, and Cookies folders then start your install again.

3. dohboy

dohboy Registered Member

I ran the Disk Cleanup Utility as you suggested and cleaned up all these temporary file locations. No change. The setup bails out almost immediately, same as before.

This time, I extracted the MSI from the installer and ran it with debug logging turned on with the following command line --

msiexec /l* acronis.log /i AcronisTrueImageServer.msi

The log is huge, but the last lines of the log says this --

MSI (c) (3C:A0) [11:13:38:002]: Product: Acronis True Image Echo Server -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (3C:A0) [11:13:38:003]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Acronis True Image Echo Server. Product Version: 9.5.8018. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

I read throught the log a bit more (another web site recommended looking for "Return value 3" as an indicator of what failed) and I found this --

Action start 11:32:01: DetectMsiMajorUpgradables.
    1: MSIGEN: PerMachineChecker created
    1: MSIGEN: Initialize checker
    1: MSIGEN: CheckForUpgradeCode {5017BCDA-0C90-4A92-8851-9C0A7C6AA3BF}
    1: MSIGEN: Check For Upgrade Code started {5017BCDA-0C90-4A92-8851-9C0A7C6AA3BF}
    1: MSIGEN: Enumerate through related products
    1: MSIGEN: Product found {10DF6B41-D59D-4CCE-86BC-028DF8F9A061}
    1: MSIGEN: Determing context for {10DF6B41-D59D-4CCE-86BC-028DF8F9A061}
    1: MSIGEN: Error occured during CheckForUpgradeCode for {5017BCDA-0C90-4A92-8851-9C0A7C6AA3BF}: 1605
    Action ended 11:32:01: DetectMsiMajorUpgradables. Return value 3.

So it seems to be detecting whatever product 10DF6B41 represents. I can only assume that is Acronis Echo. So, told the MSI to uninstall it with this command --

msiexec /l* acronis-remove.log /x AcronisTrueImageServer.MSI

It asked me if I wanted to remove this product, I said Yes. Then 30 seconds later I get a error "This action is only valid for products that are installed."

The log file doesn't show anything useful.

MSI (s) (04:F0) [12:37:58:502]: Product: Acronis True Image Echo Server -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (04:F0) [12:37:58:503]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Acronis True Image Echo Server. Product Version: 9.5.8018. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1605.

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  4. dohboy

dohboy Registered Member

Looks like I might've fixed this myself. I used WinInternals RegMon to figure out where the unexplained upgrade code was coming from, and it appears to be here --

HKCR\Installer\UpgradeCodes\ADCB710509C029A48815C9A0C7A63AFB

So I deleted that key out of the registry and now the acronis msi setup is starting. Here's hoping it'll completely install this time! :D

EDIT: The install completed successfully, and after a reboot, my Acronis Echo is working!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.