Acronis 10.0.0.0.4871 buggy on large backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdco, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdco

wdco Registered Member

Acronis 10.0.0.0.4871

I have three XP machines networked. Backups were attempted with windows running. The laptop backup ran fine through the network to a fire wire drive but had errors on the first try... so we had to start over again and it worked on the second try. Then I backed up 227 gigs in my main system which took forever and took forever to verify it. Three attempts were made and all three failed… days went by. And of course, they each failed about eight hours into the process during the verification. Since these same drives taken one at a time did verify on the first attempt… I can only conclude that the software is buggy. Has anyone else out there experienced this?

Then the third machine went along fine with the two 80 gig drives done individually - but failed three times backing up the last 250 gig drive.

Although Acronis 10.0.0.0.4871 has not performed well on my systems; by far the most annoying problem is a company that has gone to great lengths NOT to talk on the phone for a quick remedy for those of us who are busy.:shifty:

2. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

227gig of data is going to take quite some time to backup any way you look at it. Additional compression will add extra time, disk throughput limitations / network / and where your storing the images will also affect how long it takes.

I've never backed up the 'data' partition of one of my machines (few hundred gig) so I'll do a backup and see what it does.

As mentioned in numerous other threads, posts and arguments about this software, Acronis is VERY good at pointing out that your hardware may not be so flawless. Do a chkdsk /r on your drives, run memtest 86 and see what they say.

As for verification, if your backing up to another machine, run the backup, don't verify, go to the machine you saved the image to and verify it from there. It will be much quicker as it does not have to read the image back over the network to run the checksum on it.

As for support, yes there are cases where a quick phone call will fix the problem. In most cases though, specific instructions and cases require files to be sent to Acronis for analysis in which case a phone is useless.

Given your situation a suggestion of chkdsk /r and memtest will leave the systems out of action for some time thanks to the size of your disks.

3. wdco

wdco Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions and I will try remotely to run the check disk and memtest tonight.

In this case, I wasn't pushing data thru the network. I moved the backup drive (a new 500gig Seagate) in fw series with the one I was backing up. All this was taking place on the smaller system with 3 drives. The reason I was backing up the data drives is because of file pathes being maintained. I do sound design work and have thousands of samples all over the place and if the program misses just one of them... I have to go find it.

thanks

wdco

4. nughaud

nughaud Registered Member

Well a quick phone call won't help, as we have support but when you speak to someone who only understand about 10% English you need to email them in my opinion.

I had to repeat myself 5 times and the person still did not understand my email address.

I even spoke like this:

J, Juliet
    O, Oscar
    N, Nancy
    N, Nancy
    Y, Yankee

Needless to see I emailed and things were better, just SLOWER.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wdco,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

- What exact error messages have you received? When exactly have you received them? Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this error. Please also send us a screen shot of the error, if possible.

Please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post on the computer where the external hard drive connected. Please keep your external hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Could you please clarify if you were able to back up and validate the created image archive in this case (when the external hard drive connected directly to the system you back up)?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello wdco,

If you are so busy you should describe the problems you have experienced a little bit more particularly rather that just said that you have problems in general. Please understand me correctly, I (and others) here to help...more info => more help.

I could assume that this try was done over the network to FW drive, am I right? The fact that the first try was not successful might means that there are some issues with network. Try to plug the FW drive directly and perform the backup.

So you do create the backup that validates successfully. Was it done over the network as well?

Worth to mention the error messages you received during backup creation.

P.S. I totaly agree with Unit01 about the Support.

_Kento_

7. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

wdco,

My comments don’t address your technical problem, but are addressed at the method of backing up data files. If you have data you can’t replace, music, photos, movies, letters, whatever they might be, I question the practice of using a program, whether it is TI or Ghost or whatever, that will encapsulate them all in one or several large files. That’s an enormous amount of trust to place in a single file, let alone program.

My opinion only, a preferred method is to duplicate the files as is, directories and all, to the backup location. TI has never failed me on an image and restore, but if an image file does go bad, and I have to reinstall the O/S and all my programs, I can do that. If irreplaceable photo scans are in that file, they may be irrecoverable. This also has the added benefit of vastly reducing the size of the images I do create with TI.

That being said, the program should do what you want it to, yes support is slow but there, and last but certainly not least, as you will find in many posts on this forum, Acronis doesn’t beta test before releasing a new version, so the first update (not out yet for V10) to a new version often eliminates problems.

Regards, CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.