Acronic Disk Editor 6.0 - can it change my drive letter?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Dynamic2004, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynamic2004

Dynamic2004 Registered Member

Hello,

I am the owner of Acronic's PowerUtilities and have a minor problem, which I hope I can resolved either with Acronic Migrate easy 6.0 or Acronic Disk Editor 6.0 – or maybe you have some other recommendation for me?

Background:

I have recently (successfully) installed MS Windows Small Business 2003 Server (Standard Edition) on a new 40GB hard drive. This drive has been installed on my computer and is acting as the Master drive. I also decided to keep my previous hard-drive (Seagate 40GB) as a slave. This drive was also re-installed successfully. The Seagate hard drive use to act as a master on my previous system and it currently has my OS installed on it (MS Windows 2000 PRO) plus some other software.

I want to keep my Seagate drive and I was hoping that I could access this drive via "MY COMPUTER", but that does not seem to be the case. If I go to "MY COMPUTER", I can only see one drive, namely the C:/ drive, which obviously has the MS Windows Small Business 2003 Server (Standard Edition) installed on it. The Seagate drive (MS Windows 2000 PRO - my OS) is not to be found.

Hence, I then went to the “Disk Management” program that comes with Windows Server 2003 to see if the hard drive was recognised by my PC, and it is, it sits there with 20GB free space.

However, I have noticed that this drive has not got a designated drive letter (preferably D:/. In addition, I cannot assign a drive letter to it, as my options are limited. I have read most of Microsoft’s help manuals, but I have not been able to solve the problem. Most options I have available are ghosted, I can't change “drive letter and path”, I can only delete the partition, which I do not want to do, as I will loose all my files. Also, when viewing the Disk details it tells me that I have 100% free space on this drive, which is not true – after all this drive has my OS and other applications installed on it.

How can I get the Seagate Drive to be part of my current system, is it just a matter of assigning a letter to the drive – and how is that achieved? Is it a job for Acronic Disk Editor or maybe Migrate Easy - and how is it done.

The status of the Seagate drive is "Healthy" and "active", but there is no "File system" assigned to it either. The C:/ drive seems okay, it reads "Health (System)", File system is "NFTS" and when right-clicking on it I can assign a new drive letter and path, if needed.

All I want is to get access to the Seagate drive through “my computer”, this so that I can keep existing OS and other relevant applications and files. Please provide some help – I am stranded… and sorry I have not worked much with Acronic's software before.

Thanks

Dynamic2004

2. TheFlyer

TheFlyer Guest

Drive letters are assigned by the OS.
    In WinXP and Win2K you can achieve that via "Disk management". You already saw the disk partitions there.
    Now just right click on a partition and the context menu pops up. Now select "Change drive letter" (or something like that). I currently use a Dutch version, sorry.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Dynamic2004

Please read this old thread:- Hard drive renamed

Just put the drive letter in to suite you.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.