Acer Notebooks?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do not know anyone who owns an Acer. Anyone here, and your assessment? They seem to offer a lot for the price.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've got a 2.66, 512, 80Gb Desknote with a 17" screen. It's supposed to be a desktop replacement, so it's huge and quite heavy (7kg!).....but it has been an excellent machine. Has full size (not laptop) components. If their other notebooks are as good, I'd buy another.

http://www.mtekk.com.au/images/acer1700c.gif

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Bigbuck.
    Jerry

4. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Jerry, ACER is huge in many parts of the world. I understand they're making inroads into the consumer market in the United States with heavy media buys and all. ACER makes a good solid notebook. Travelmates are excellent, but the Aspires are fine too. Good bang for the buck.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I seem to have read that some magazine, maybe PC, gave one the top buy in its class. I don't want to rule them out. I think that Staples handles them.
    Jerry

6. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

I have a Acer Aspire3000 and it gives some problems with the hard drive at times, it's cheap...only $600 but it's not that reliable to me.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Our experience at the shop is mostly Acer and Dells coming in with issues :blink:

Cheers :D

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Every friend of mine who bought various models of Acer have suffered problems with it, suffice to say, none of them are using Acer anymore, take a look at SONY VAIO, one of the most durable and well made investment you will ever make. Also check out Toshiba and IBM.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have an ACER Notebook since April 2004, and never had a single problem with it...

10. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

I have Acer TravelMate 290. Good laptop!!!:thumb:

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Best Buy had a special on a Toshiba with Pentium M Centrino 750, 100gb HD, 1024 Ram, and I bought it for $1,000 + tax.
    I wanted a 14 in screen for portability and so I got what I had wanted all along.

I doesn't come with much software except trial versions. I am using Open Office instead of buying MS Office. I am also using free versions of security software, as the machine will not be on the web much.

I am using Avast, BD free, A squared, MSAS, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Snoopfree, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Doctor free as an on-demand backup, MS firewall, and Win Patrol Plus. I have DSL and mostly will use wireless. I assume the hardware firewall also works with wireless.

There is an offer of EZ trust AV for 1 year, but I think Avast will be about as good.

Thanks for the comments.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.