Acer Ferrari 4000 x64 Problem with USB

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by autobengal, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. autobengal

autobengal Registered Member

I have a Acer Ferrari 4000 Turion x64 that came with Windows x64. Because of lack of support from many of the programs that I use including (presumably) Acronis, I installed Windows Pro reg. version. I am using TI9 V2337. The problem that I am having is that wheather backing up or restoring images, my notebook has problems with any Hard Drive that is plugged into any the USB ports. It sees the USB drive, but it hangs while searching for them for a longer period of time. Tha'ts when i know that the either the backup or restore will not complete. I've tried using Barts boot CD, that did not help. I have many computers and notebooks and I don't have a problem with any of them with Acronis TI9. I think that this is somehow a AMD x64 processor problem. Has anyone experienced this problem or can offer any advice. Thank you very much.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello autobengal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image 9.0 does not support Windows 64-bit operating system. Probably the future version of Acronis True Image 9.0 will support this operating system. We regret to inform you that we cannot tell you the exact time of the future version release.

You can obtain Acronis True Image basic functionality of imaging and restoring by temporarily installing Acronis True Image onto a Windows 32-bit machine and creating an Acronis True Image Bootable CD. You can then uninstall Acronis True Image. As the Acronis True Image Bootable CD boots you into the Linux environment you can use it to back up and restore your 64-bit OS.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. autobengal

But I am "NOT" using WINDOWS X64, just the computer processor is AMD Turion x64.

4. ee1

ee1 Registered Member

I also have a Acer Ferrari 4000 Turion x64, running XP-pro 32bit, and I have found that its USB ports have problems with multiple USB devices. The only way I can do my backups on this system is to use the FireWire connection.

For backups, I am using a Seagate 400GB external disk with both USB and FireWire connections. Seagate ships the disk/enclosure with a standard size FireWire cable, so you have to buy a new cable with a smaller plug on one end to use it with the Ferrari.

My Ferrari 4000 also has problems with a D-Link hub and with some USB memory sticks. Other devices like my USB keyboard and my USB mouse work fine with the Ferrari.

The problem seems to be a design issue, as my Ethernet port went out on this system, and ACER replace the motherboard, which fixed the Ethernet but did not the help with the USB issues.

I have a Intel based ACER notebook, model 4021, and its USB ports work just fine with the same Seagate 400 GB drive, so I really think its something with the chip set ACER used on the Ferrari 4000.

5. autobengal

I have "EXACTLY" the same issues you just described. Right now I'm testing some other backup image program called "Image Under Dos". But as I'm doing the backup now I can't tell you much. It DID recognize my USB Maxtor immediatly and is doing an image as I write this. I don't know how the restore is going to come along. One thing that is important about this program is that it is AMD X64
    compatible. I think the problem with some of these issues is that Acronis TI9 is not x64 compatible...
    I'm trying to google some programs that are x64 compatible and will do the Image under Dos, as this "VERY" important to because I encrypt my hard drive completly. Again, like you I have absolutely no problem imaging with any of my external firewire hard drives, but I need the program to be compatible with USB also in case an image gets corrupted ect... If you find something that can help us in this regard please don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks...

6. ee1

ee1 Registered Member

I am not sure why you need the drive to be USB compatible, as the True Image Linux based recovery CD works just fine with the ACER Firewire port. I have done a full recovery from my Seagate Firewire attached drive using the TI recovery CD and it worked. It was slow so I left it run overnight, but when it finished, everything was restored.

As I have had multiple problems with the USB ports on my system when the True Image software was not involved, I do not think that changing backup program is going to help. I think the ACER Ferrari 4000 USB interface is broken.

7. autobengal

The reason that I would like it to be USB compatible is that sometimes if your travelling or you want to make multiple image backups, it's nice to be able to have the option to go the USB route. I don't quite agree with you about the USB being broken. I think this could be easily fixed with a Bios/ATI Chipset driver upgrade.

As far as my present Image using Image for Dos, I am at 75% and I think that it's going well because when I Image it with TI9 it takes a similar amount of time. (about 4 Hours)

I'll let you know, and everyone that interested how this went, as far as a restore when It's finished. I want to make sure that it restores my MBR to what it was when I imaged it. As I mentioned before, I use a full Hard Disk Encryption (DCCP) or (PGP9) and that alters the MBR. When I use TI9 through with firewire I have no problems. The key is "NOT" to use compression.......

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello autobengal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with Acronis True Image 9.0, boot your computer from it, try to create an image and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists please boot your computer from Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. autobengal

Thank you Tatania, but I tried all of that and TI 9 still has problems seeing and working with the USB ports and external hard drives. I've just finished evaluating IMAGE FOR DOS by Terebyte which is AMD x64 compatible and it saw the USB hard drives immediatley with back up and restore of a fully encrypted drive with out any problem. TI should really start supporting AMD x64 processors. That is with out a question why people are experiencing problems with USB external drives. I'm going to continue using TI9 for Intel processors but will start using Image for Dos for my AMD notebook. It would be nice if you could offer some idea when x64 support might be forthcoming.
    If you go to "PLANETAMD64" com you'll find that mostly everyone that is using an AMD x64 processor cant use True Image. Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi autobengal,

Virtually every one of those posts you allude to is about using True Image with Windows X64 (or Vista as it's now known as) not with AMD's 64 bit processor.

Regards

11. autobengal

Sorry, please re-read the posts! I clearly state that I am using AMD x64 processor.

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You've misread Menorcaman's last post. He is referring to the posts at "PLANETAMD64" that you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.