Acer Aspire harddrive upgrade

Discussion in 'hardware' started by damian666, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi
    Can anyone tell or put me onto a tutorial,for fitting a bigger harddrive on my Acer Aspire 7520 vista 32 home premium laptop.Ive got two harddrives showing on screen as c and d at about 30gb each,would like to fit 320 or 500gb harddrive.One problem i do have is OS is preinstalled any help would be great
    Thank you

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you look under your laptop there should be a few removable panels. Sometimes they're labelled sometimes not. Under one of those panels will be your hard drive. Its simply a case of pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. Even tho your screen shows a c: and d: drive its actually only 1 hard drive split into 2 partitions.
    You'll have to make a backup of you current harddrive if you wish to have it exactly the same on your hard drive. Or else you should have some restore disks with which you can restore the OS to the new hard drive.

Also depending on how old your laptop is it could have trouble recognising larger capacity hard drives.

3. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

My Acer Aspire comes with a 250GB HDD and was splitted in C:\ and D:\ too. The partition D:\ is the recovery-part of Acer. First I did a system-backup with the Acer-feature and did burn it to 2 DVD´s. Second I did format the HDD with another Vista-DVD and recover the system from this DVD´s and now this split is gone. I can use the HDD complete. If this sufficient enough for you, you can go this way and in addition use an external USB-HDD.

4. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi
    Thanks to you all for your advice,Ive had the base of my laptop off and found that there is space for another hard drive.I have now fitted another hard drive in the free space.took a bit of time to suss out how to get the computer to reconize the drive but everything is running fine,but the hard drive is showing as a primary partion i assume this will be ok
    Thanks to everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.