Accessing Windows Media Player through Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Why doesn't a video clip that opens with Windows Media Player open if the browser you are accessing it through is Firefox? What's with THAT incompatibility? Obviously I have Windows Media Player installed, but if it SHOULD work through FF, any idea how to check to see that I have the correct "plug-ins", or make sure that it is configured to work with FF correctly?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If I am browsing with opera or firefox and there is a media clip in WMA it will open and play in WMP. Never had a problem with it.

3. JRCATES

I'm glad you're not having any problems with this, bigc...but I am (LOL)! For some reason, clips that WILL open through IE will NOT through FF.

I came across this link (Firefox plug-ins ), but when you click on the link for what SHOULD be the "plug-in" for Windows Media Player, it appears as more of an outright download (which I already have Windows Media Player 10 installed on this machine)! I don't think like a PC geek, so if this actually IS the plug-in, they sure didn't do a very good job of identifying that.

4. bigc73542

I have to go on an emergency run and will check back in the morning to see if you have it fixed or not and will help if I can.

bigc

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Are you using DropMyRights? This could cause the problem. I know that DropMyRights can conflict with Firefox and prevent loading of players within browser.
    Mrk

6. JRCATES

Not to my knowledge. I've heard of this, but to the best of my knowledge, no...I'm not using this. How can check for sure to make certain that I haven't done this by accident.

And bigc, still having probs here....so if you get a chance and can check out that link I posted above and know and can tell me if that IS a "plug-in" and NOT the actual player, please let me know. Thanks.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    DropMyRights need to be installed on the machine and shortcuts created to actually run programs with limited privileges under admin account. Therefore, check your firefox shortcut and see what the command line reads:
    Normally, WITHOUT DropMyRights, it should be something like:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe"
    WITH DropMyRights it would read something like this:
    C:\DropMyRights\dropmyrights.exe "C:\Program Files\Mozilla ... firefox.exe"
    Of course, in my examples I used arbitrary folders, they can be anything on your computer. However, what makes the difference is if the command line to firefox is prefixed by dropmyrights.exe. If not, you are not running it.

I have another wild idea.
    Have you set firefox to open new windows in tabs, since the last vulnerability? Check this one, too.

Apropos plug-ins, firefox plugins have .xpi extensions and you can download them from the official site. Do not download things on other sites, unless you are 100% sure they are reputable.

Btw, can you post a link (modified http to hxxp if you like), so I could try to load that page?

Mrk

8. bigc73542

I checked the link and it is the link to a full install of windows media player. I really believe that FF is not recognizing WMP as being installed. If you already have WMP 10 installed you might make sure that FF is set as default browser and reinstall WMP. Just a thought, do you have sp2 installed?

9. JRCATES

It's rather odd, bigc.....because sometimes it will open and play WMP through FF - but other times it acts like it doesn't even exist!

I guess the fact that it WILL play it on occasion means that it works, just not very well..... :(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  10. bigc73542

It is possible that your install of FF might have a little something off kilter and won't always recognize WMP. Possiblely a reinstall of FF if all else fails. at least you don't loose your skins and bookmarks on an FF install ;)

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you go to the address box and type in about:plugins it will show you which plugins you have.

12. JRCATES

OK (showing my ignorance here), WHICH "address box" are you referring to?

Sorry, but my overall working knowledge involving the terminology of PCs isn't to the point where basic or generic terms have much meaning :oops:

edit: one thing I can add, is that every time I open up Windows Media Player through Firefox (even when it works), when I run Registry Mechanic afterwards, there are a couple of "invalid values" relating to Windows Media Player. The next time that I do this, I will be sure to post them here for someone to take a look at.....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm sorry i couldn't remember the correct name, i think it's the address bar; the place where the page's address is i.e. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Registry Mechanic could just be finding temp things for WMP like info needed to play a radio station. mine cleans from here after i have played it:
    C:\Documents and Settings\iceni\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media\10.0

14. JRCATES

Thanks iceni, it worked! I typed in about:plugins in the Firefox URL address bar, and it brought up ALL of the plugins I have associated with Firefox, with there status. Here's what it showed for Windows Media Player:

http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/9608/ffwmpplugins8uk.png

And the location you posted associated with Registry Mechanic is very similar to what it shows for me as well. Kind of funny how it doesn't show it unless I open the media player, though, but anyway.....I think I now have answers to both questions.

Thanks much, for all of your help ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.