Access denied !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Can I please ask all the knowledgable members of this Forum, why if I invite a program to be part of my system, when I try to control it I get some obstruction from MISCONFIG or other infuriating panels, saying either Access Denied or I am not allowed to do it. Hell, it is MY machine, I`ll do what I like.
    I invite something in - I kick it out.

I recently tried to disable AVG and again Avast. Just disable them, not uninstall them or play hanky-panky. BUT-NO, I cannot disable them without them telling me I am not allowed to. What on Earth are these suppliers doing to provide systems that are voluntarily installed on our machines by invitation, only to be told that we cannot interfere with them ?

Well - I just get rid of them together with all their left-over dregs.

Honestly ! ANY program we install should - MUST be at our total control and MUST be easily disabled. It is necessary in many cases to need to disable a program rather than uninstall it.
    The whole matter is crazy and personally infuriating.

ACCESS DENIED ! It is MY machine and I will do what I like, thank you kindly all program suppliers.

Comments please.
    John B

2. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Hi John Bull,
    AVs such as Avast want to make sure that it's not malware disabling your protection without your knowledge.
    I'm sitting here in a hotelroom with my wife's Vista, and I can disable Avast, only it's after I confirm that its me doing the disabling.
    Regards,
    JD

3. John Bull

Thanks Judge for your kind comments, much appreciated.

Avast has a disabling option, but AVG has not. I tried all sorts of Martial Arts on the damned thing, from CCleaner start, Misconfig - that kept querying what I had done and other nefarious strikes, but it would not be disabled.

Well I did think I had got it to finally submit, but it was still kicking and crapped up my OE Email - kept coming up with "Error - cannot contact the server". So I put all the AVG gubbins back to normal and got rid of Avast by uninstalling it. Everything went back to normal. Not what I wanted.

What I would liked to have done is disable AVG and give Avast a months trial, but could not find a way to put AVG in the penalty box.

John B

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It isn't a good idea to have 2 antivirus apps installed at the same time.

Disabling one of them isn't enough.

You get problems as you have found out :)

5. John Bull

Hi Stapp,

I know about the problems of having two AV programs, but naively thought that disabling one would mean total immunity, whilst the other enjoyed the freedom of independent operation. Surely this is true ? Does not disable mean disable ? AVG has the policy of once in - stay in.

I do not want to uninstall a program to test another one. Doing this means I lose all my personal settings.

I find it rather impertinent for a program invited into my house to then behave like an unwanted squatter and refuse to obey orders. Most other programs are totally controllable except for some AV programs.

Will it make any difference using a logon as Administrator in Safe Mode ?

John B

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A process would be a program that you start, maybe Opera. You start it, you stop it. A service can be seen in the process list, such as punkbuster processes if you play any games, but a service is different. Services can just be an automated method to start a process, or a service could be a process that actually starts many other processes, such as svchost.exe.

If you disable a service, such as an AV, it does not mean that parts of it that are supposed to load have not done so. You might have multiple services to disable in order to do that. And then, there are drivers that might be loaded regardless, which might interfere with other similar drivers.

Almost without exception, heavy applications such as AV or firewalls, hips and these types of programs, all use services and drivers, and are embedded into the OS. Many of them are designed to load during system boot before user objects are actually loaded. It is not normally just "turn it off", although it can be if you learn what lives where.

You get access denied also because services may not don't belong to you, but to the system. It all depends really, but most security related services, as already noted, don't allow tampering. And some, if you do manually terminate, will automatically start back up again.

Sul.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Sully has explained things well John. I would just like to add that some security type software (in particular av's and firewalls) can get very upset about finding another softwares driver on the system.

You will have to uninstall one to test the other. Just write your configurations down for when you reinstall.

I always tend to reboot twice when uninstalling any type of security software as the first re-boot after uninstall Microsoft can just disable the driver, whereas the second reboot actually uninstalls it.

8. John Bull

Stapp and Sully

BRILLIANT REPLIES !

John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.