'Access denied" issue: how to avoid it occuring?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tuttle, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Guest

A lot of folks post here when they are unable to access restored files, due to XP's ownership/permissions settings. The replies instruct them to boot to Safe Mode and change the ownership/permissions on the files.

How do you avoid the problem occurring in the first place? Isn't it a matter of telling TI not to preserve the ownership settings when imaging the drive?

For instance when creating a backup, under File-level security settings there is a setting for "Preserve file security settings in archives". If that is unchecked, would that prevent the problem from occurring?

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Is there a way to prevent this problem from occurring?

3. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

On January 12, I purchased ATI 10, made the download. I then made a full image backup and hours later decided to restore as the ultimate test which to me is the one way to have faith in this product.

The Restore was done within Windows, took little time. I then made a Restart and all went well... no hiccup from XP.

The logical conclusion I make is this:

I made an image of my internal HDD as a whole to an external USB drive. I restored what was there at the time I made the image. This restoration being done on the source drive from which the backup had been done and in the same computer, I fail to see what ownership and settings have to do with anything.

The key words here are "I made a full image backup" then restored that image where it came from.

4. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

i think the problem is accessing the image files or the partition
    they are stored on
    i've seen this occor running from boot-mode

5. mfabien

...if the problem is accessing the location, then it could be the Linux OS in the Acronis Rescue CD. There could be a driver problem to access a particular device.

So then there is the BartPE with TrueImage plugin CD that opens with its own Windows XP and recognizes drive letters set by the Main Windows.

6. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Right, because you're missing the point. Obviously if you image the entire drive and restore the entire drive, then everything is fine.

The problem occurs when restoring just files or directories, especially when restoring them to a different computer.

7. mfabien

It can take more time to backup files and directories, to do incrementals or differentials than a full image backup...

...and it can be more complexed to restore.

8. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Re: 'Access denied' issue: how to avoid it occuring?

Full image is not always what is needed. Sometimes we need to backup files and restore them to a different computer. Please accept that there are many uses for Acronis True Image. I'm seeking an answer to a common problem, so please don't keep telling us not to use these features of the product.

My original question stands, for anyone who actually has an answer:
    Is there a way to prevent the 'Access denied' problem from occurring?

9. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Re: 'Access denied" issue: how to avoid it occurring?

Exactly.... when you are referring to SYSTEM folders and their contents, e.g., My Documents, Program Files and all their sub-folders. And this is how it should be. Perhaps you can relate to the same situation on a network. You cannot access another account's system folders/files unless you have created an Administrator account for yourself on the other machine. You do have "limited" access to some areas of the file system but not all.

Knowing this myself, I always manually backup such system folders/files to another location just in the event I need access to them where otherwise they would not be accessible. However, I cannot speak about the "File backup" feature in TI 10 and how it relates to your issue since I haven't used it.

10. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Most users do not consider My Documents contents to be system files. Those are user-created files and folders. (Yes, I know that Windows treats My Documents as a special folder, but the contents are not system files.)

Well, that's the question. The workaround of how to enable access to these files after restoration has been mentioned several times in these forums. More useful would be a way to avoid the problem in the first place.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My opinion is that there may not be an easy way to overcome it because you are saying you want to circumvent the NTFS security system. Changing the partition to FAT32 would probably do it.

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This is an excellent question, and it appears that no one here has tried it.

Would you be willing to make a backup of some files from your My Documents folder with the box unchecked and restore them to another computer to see if you have discovered the solution.

Sometimes the forum members have the answers and sometimes we just go get them ourselves to share with others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.