Abstruction protector

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Labrie, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Hi guys! i just installed AP in my system...it seem quite powerful program and its for free...but i dont really know what kind of program it is...Is it a firewall?...is it useful?...i went on some dangerous sites to see how it works and i couldnt even connect...the only issue i see is tha it uses 20 mb memory.

:D

2. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Hi Labrie,
    AP basically had to 1) prevent new installations if you do not really want to do new installation 2) checksum a series of files (.BAT, .DLL, .PIF, .COM,.EXE etc) and prevent their execution if any variation is found.
    It isn't a firewall.
    It's a quite old program and it is not clear how good it is.

3. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

ty my friend...i just uninstalled it...i like process guard better. ;)

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I use AP and i like it (after some time that i figured out how to install things without AP interrupting the process in the middle).Basically,with AP,you can be certain that nothing will get installed and run behind your back.You have to give your permission.For example,try ANY firewall leaktest.If you try to run it,AP will pop up and block it.If you DO give it permission to run,then it will.Consider the same with a malicious code.As soon as you don't give permission for it to execute,AP will prevent it.If you DO give permission,AP won't protect you.

That's the idea.BTW,it's 10 MB Ram on my pc.(2 processes)

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

that's why I prefer ProcessGuard, because even if you allow something to run, it can still protect your back by preventing memory hijacking, rootkit installation, "\Device\PhysicalMemory" access (which can disable every security software), etc... :)

regards,

gkweb.

6. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

hi gkweb! that security protection you talk about is also in the free program?

ty

:D

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

8. Diver

Diver Guest

This may seem like raining on your parade, but programs like Abtrusion Detector and Process Guard make the computer too hard to use for anyone but a computer hobbyist. Could you just see trying to maintain an enterprise network with these things on every one of thousands of computers used by non IT people?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Driver

If you think these programs are hard to use, have you had to clean up a computer that didn't have these kinds of programs on them. ProcessGuard and AP are much easier to learn for prevention, then learning how to clean up.

Pete

10. Hyper

Hyper Guest

I agree.The "price" to pay for using such programmes is worthy of the benefit you get.I don't know about PG,since it never went along with my PC (last time i tried,the free version 3.0 was blocking my task manager and all firewall leak test were executing,in the past i had BSODs etc),but AP leaves you alone unless you have to install something.And when you do,i concluded that there is a way for not having installation problems ever.Just temporarily select "Don't check for any permissions",install,and then "stop install" in AP to go back in "locked" mode.That's it.How hard can that be.

Hyperion

11. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

i agree with the preventing soffware fans. :D From now and on i think this type of products are gonna be more needed than ever since internet access to people is growing and growing...so better to prevent attacks thatn cure them...though most of "normal" people arent aware about the dangers of the net..lol...for instance i begun to worry after several bad experiences...prior to that i even didnt know wth was a firewall...

Adeu.

:cool:

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Hyper

You might want to take another look at ProcessGuard. I used to use Abtrusion Protector and I liked it. PG free does essentially the same thing, but I found was much less resource intensive. I could leave my computer alone for an hour and my hard disk drive was constantly doing something. I don't see this with PG. I suspect it relates to the way AP communicates with it's self internally. Also PG free just scratches the surface of the protection that the full program offers. It is those additional protections that make it unique.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.