ABR 10 - Unable to back up after installing software

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by shuckie, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shuckie

shuckie Registered Member

Hello everyone

I've just installed ABR 10 for the first time. The user interface seemed quite intuitive and I was able to configure a backup plan without any problems. However, when I try to run the plan it fails immediately.

I am a domain admin with full access to this particular server, and I can't understand why the backup won't run. I had set up a custom plan with VSS and a couple of other options enabled. I tried reverting everything back to defaults except the logging option but still no luck.

I have saved a couple of error logs but am unable to upload them as they're in XML format which isn't supported. Is there an easy way of converting them to another format which I can upload?

Thanks

shuckie

2. Zimbobee

Zimbobee Registered Member

I've had similar problems with ABR10
    All components installed on a server, Agent deployed to workstation, central policy either failed to deploy or failed to run the task.
    Full domain admin rights and all neccessary user rights as per the manual.
    Just kept getting Logon failures due to incorrect rights.
    Finally, after much pain and arguing, I was told that there is an "internal" user that has to have rights to logon as a service. This is granted the correct rights at install BUT in a domain config the domain security policy will overwrite this!
    Also there are 2 windows services that need to be set to automatic, that the installation routine does not appear to do!
    These are the Volume Shadow Copy and Com+ System.

If only they would provide complete documentation it would make our lives so much easier!

3. shuckie

Hi Zimbobee

Thanks for your reply.

All the components are installed on the server so the management console is connecting to a local agent. All of the following services are started and set to Automatic;

Acronis Managed Machine Service
    Acronis Remote Agent
    Acronis Scheduler2 Service
    COM+ System Application

The Acronis VSS Provider is not running and is set to Manual. I changed the Volume Shadow Copy service to Automatic but it is not running at the moment. That said, the VSS option for the backup plan is set to Disabled by default at the moment anyway.

I realised I could copy the contents of the error log entries to the clipboard, so I have done this and in turn copied the contents into the attached text file. Hopefully the details will make more sense to someone else than they do to me at the moment!

The Acronis Agent User local account is only a member of Backup Operators at the moment. Should this be sufficient for running the backup process? Is this the account that needs to be able to log on as a service? If so, how is that configured?

There is also a __acro_subst_user__ account which isn't a member of any groups, but I don't know if it is anything to do with Acronis?

I'm working my way through the 221 page manual at the moment, so I'd be grateful if someone could offer me a solution to this problem please without me having to read the manual to the end!

Thanks

shuckie

4. shuckie

Hello everyone

It turns out that the problem was down to the fact that I was trying to run the backup via Remote Desktop rather than being logged onto the physical console.

Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

Cheers!

shuckie

5. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Registered Member

Are you saying that the backup only works if you physically login to the server?

I have ABR10 Server for Windows installed on a server (win2k3 x86) which I can configure and run through Remote Desktop Connection (winxp pro x86, win7 rc x64) just fine.

Did you actually mean using the Acronis Management Console to remotely manage the server?

SomeoneElse

6. shuckie

Hi there

My line manager ended up looking into it because I was working at another site yesterday, and a consultant arrived to upgrade the server (we were trying to back the server up before the upgrade). My line manager emailed me to say that he was able to run the backup when he physically logged onto the machine. I had logged on via RDP and was trying to perform a backup of the server via the "Manage Local Machine" option on the Start Menu.

I can't think why the backup would work with someone logged on physically and not remotely, but that's what the problem appears to have been?

7. Zimbobee

Zimbobee Registered Member

The __acro_subst_user__ is the account that causes all the problems!
    its created on the machine when u install the agent, and its granted the right to logon locally, which is great - UNTIL the domain security policy comes along and resets these rights!
    You need to add this user into the rights to logon locally section of the domain policy, and everything then starts working again. (after gpupdate of course!)
    There is however a down side....
    If this domain policy applies to machines without the agent installed, then you will get warnings and errors about an unknown user in the rights section of the GPO!
    Not damaging but VERY annoying.
    I've been told today that a new build will be released in 2 weeks time, in which they change the way it works on a domain, and remove the __acro_subst_user__ altogether.

Isn't this what the testing and beta stages are supposed to find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.