ABR 10 - Can't Select Entire Disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rogersba, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogersba

rogersba Registered Member

I'm new to this product line, so maybe there's something obvious I'm missing here.

I have ABR 10 Workstation, and I'm trying to backup my primary hard drive. My system has 2 internal drives and two external drives, but when I select "disk/volumes" in the source type when creating a backup plan, I get an empty list. "There are no items to show in this view". Given the number of drives I have, this is a very strange response.

I've looked through the forums and web for an answer, so hopefully I'm not overlooking some obvious bit of documentation.

For reference, I'm running Vista 64.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I've had a play with ABR10, but not the Workstation version and not on Vista 64 bit system, but on W7 RC1 32 bit.

When you select the Disks/Volumes, do you also get the Change... text on the right hand side of the pane? If you do when you click on that you should get a disk layout form appear from which you can tick the drives/partitions you want included.

Do you get the same blankness if you click on Recovery, does DD Lite show your drives?

Have you logged on as local machine (as I said I don't have Workstation installed as yet, so you may not get that choice of attaching a local machine versus a remote)? In theory of course if you don't have a network with Agnet installed then it should sulk if you choose the wrong option.

You may have to bite the bullet and re-install.

3. rogersba

I do get the Change text, but that's where I see no drives listed. I do see them in the Disk Management list.

I also tried using "Run as Administrator", but it still didn't work.

Workstation gives you a "Manage Local Machine" shortcut, which appears to automatically select local. I've tried both that and the regular version which requires you to manually select the machine, but I get the same behavior.

Maybe I'll reinstall on Monday.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What disk system are you using, FAT32, NTFS, Dynamic Disk etc?

5. rogersba

The two drives I'm wanting to back up are Basic disks formatted as NTFS.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rogersba,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

I am sending a file to you via PM, please install it and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. rogersba

I actually found a fix after a lot of dead ends.

When I removed the product, I was unable to reinstall it. The install for Agent kept rolling back and giving an unhelpful error. After reading the log file, it turned out it could not create the Acronis Agent User account again. I don't know why.

I ran the install again and used my own account information, and this time the install worked and I can select a drive. I don't know why the Acronis-generated account couldn't access the drive list, but I'm guessing its something related to UAC.

Now I need to go generate a separate account by hand and switch to it, so I can get around our domain password expiration policy.

8. rogersba

I tried reinstalling using an administrator account which was not on the domain, and the install fails just like it did with the Acronis-generated account. This isn't a great situation, because of password expiration.

I tried changing the user manually for the Acronis Managed Machine Service to some other local admin account, but then the Acronis Management software raises the following error when trying to create a backup plan:

0xBE0010: Error occurred while creating registry subkey.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  9. rogersba

I was able to get things working by setting the service to run as Local System. Not ideal, but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.