About Virus writers....

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by xpsunny, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to know your opnion that does the Virus writers and the anti-malware company coexists?

If there were no virus writers then there would be no AVs'.....

Then what do you think, why do these writers keep inventing new malwares??

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

"You have to use a firewall, AV, AS, AT, HIPS, etc, otherwise you will get infected soon!"
    Sounds familiar, it should be, those advertisments are all over the internet, so I voted Yes.

But I do not think, that AV writers work for AV companies, but they help them to earn money.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

I think virus writers might be paid by the AV companies themselves.....

You know, that every AV company's existence depends on virus writers.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

They are co-dependent. That is all I will say. :blink:

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I know, I'm may be innocent but I still like to think there is no relation between them.

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

In my opinion every AV companys writes viruses and they add them to signatures...

7. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Sometimes I think all that is required to make people believe in a 'legend' is to make the whole thing extraordinarily stupid and illogical.

You don't blame your local doctor/pharmacist to have invented cancer/the flu just because they can make money from your misery either, now do you?
    Do you really think anyone in their right mind would constantly try to beat and trick himself? As if there wasn't enough malware out there already, and the vlabs are literally drowning in work, hardly able to cope with every new piece of shitware that's coming in. You think they'd make it even worse for themselves?

See my sig. This poll is a prime example.

If you want an idea about how AV companies treat virus authors or anyone doing business/associated with them see the following wikipedia article, especially the employment section:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Jaschan

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

xpsunny,

Your question is nothing more than a pure troll.

AV writers exist for money, pure and simple. Not from AV companies, but from your pocket and mine however they can manage to grab it. It may be a seemingly benign via a pay for click scheme, a malicious phishing exercise, or direct extortion. Either way, users and consumers at large pay in the end.

Come on folks, this codependent global conspiracy theory is a bit much. Get a grip and a clue. The situation is no different from law enforcement, when dealing with the seedier side of life, part of that is dealing directly with those elements. That does not mean they are working in collaboration. Even if a few wayward souls on the enforcement side were to step over the line, that doesn't mean the industry is collaborating with the element that they are trying to control.

By the way, does anyone have a known and validated example of this to share with everyone or is this just idle nonsense?

Blue

9. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Wasn't Inspector Closeau that wrote storm trojan while he was at the bath because he was a bit bored? :D :D

10. FRug

FRug Registered Member

11. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I wont reply in the poll simply because i have no idea about this and no evidence either. It is possible, but i doubt AV companies do this because they have too much to loose if anyone finds out.. its not worth the hassle (and massive loss in popularity... actually, it will gain popularity, but only negative.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

This is an old story lol. When i got my first virus, when looking for a cure and saw the price, lol. Ages ago!

To entertain the idea, lets say it was true back then. Its' plausible, since it was all new, at least for me. Somebody writes a program that deletes all your docs, and writes another one that protects you from that. Creating a need that didn't exist - the AV.

Look at today: do you think there's a need to do that??

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well if they did make the viruses themselfs then add definations for them they could have a warning saying "fp detected" please submit this file.
    what im saying is in that case there would be no fp's
    lodore

14. EP_X0FF

EP_X0FF Registered Member

Actually Kaspersky was a virmaker =)

15. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

l0l, really?

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    They are not directly related, but when they want to sell you a product, they'll make sure the fear mongering goes far and wide. You need them, so why not need them a bit more?
    Mrk

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Mrk, sure it's plausible, but without proof, we go nowhere fast, and offending a whole industry without needing to.
    I know you don't mean it that way.

The way i feel comfortable: i don't pay for an AV, and that way i refuse to be suckered, if they really are virus writers.:cool:

18. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Any facts of what you are saying please?

19. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

No, I don't really believe there is such a "conspiracy". But I do believe, as someone else stated, that *some* companies use a scare tactic to make us switch to their product because it will protect from this or that "cyber threat".

"We will protect you against new, non-existing threats" (how do they know...:eek: ).

So, I think we are often being manipulated because it is our fear of not being able to control these dangers that is exploited, it's simple psychology. We fear the most what we don't know.

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I did not say there are virus writers. I said if there are viruses, then the anti-virus industry will do everything in its power to raise the awareness of the threat and accentuate its importance, because their bread and butter comes from there.
    They did not begin the war. But now they are in, they don't mind the extra ammo.
    Mrk

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i also want to know if you got any proof
    lodore

22. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

This is the official story about Eugene Kaspersky

From http://www.kaspersky.com/virusanalysts

23. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I wouldn't be suprised if there were a few such incidents in the earlier internet days, but now they can't keep up with the existing threats. Adding more to increase sales wouldn't make sense anymore. Then again, if we were discussing anti-spyware apps instead of AVs, it's a whole different story. Some of the less reputable ones have been caught red handed.
    One thing the AV vendors are guilty of is continuing to base their apps on a completely archaic system of signature based detections and charging users annually for that obsolete service. Instead of developing a more proactive system that doesn't need to identify every single threat, they chose greater profits and a system that creates user dependency on them for the constant updating. I got tired of this game some time ago, dropped the resident AV, and switched to a combination of strong firewall rules, HIPS, integrity checking and a usage policy of default-deny with semi-regular system backups. This has kept me protected better than any AV ever did and left me with a much faster system in the process.
    Rick

24. EP_X0FF

EP_X0FF Registered Member

there are several ms-dos viruses with ek signature =))

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

How about a contribution actually to the point of this thread? The statement was made that:
    In other words, the claim is that there is a current and continuing interaction between the malware authors and the programmers of antimalware products such that they are mutually supporting one another.

My personal opinion - the claim is so ludicrous that it doesn't even rise to the level of wrong and reflects a complete loss of touch with reality.

However, since this view somehow crawls out from under a rock from time to time, why don't we stop dancing around the topic? Let's see some actual referenced proof (within the constraints of the TOS naturally) and not someone random and untraceable heresay?

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.