About to do my 1st major backup with v10-is it safe?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by andyloc, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyloc

andyloc Registered Member

I have v8PE and done a backup image and recovered before with it, then updated drivers/windows updates etc after that.

Since its the new year now, I was going to do a full backup again from the beginning, ie from the original v8 image then update with progs/software updates/drivers etc etc and then do another TI backup. I have bought v10.

I have read a few probs with v10 though is this the case? is it safe for me to do this? and delete the v8 backup?

I bought v10 as I wanted it to start backing up individually my photos/music and emails.

please help as I have been hanging on for an update but none has came.

cheers

2. AlaninKY

AlaninKY Registered Member

Make sure your computer does meet the system requirements. For example, don't use version 10 of TI with 98SE or WindowsMe for as those OS systems don't meet the system requirements for TI version 10.

TI 10 does work for me. :)

3. AlaninKY

Let me add to help you use True Image version 10 see Gene Barlow of User Group Relations article "Using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home" at http://www.ugr.com/nl1106.html

Also, see Gene Barlow article "Automatic Backups with True Image 10.0 Home" at
    http://www.ugr.com/nl1206.html

I hope the information will help you out. Good luck and Happy New Year!

4. andyloc

Sorry should have added I have XP Home, a 3GHz P4, 1Gb RAM, so should be fine spec wise.

It was more on the actual program, hearing about the probs Im reading on here.

I will read them links thanks, wht experiences have you on the backing up with v10?

Hae you tried the emails, and music/video/photo thing? have you tried successfully restoring it from an image from v10?

thanks for your comments

5. AlaninKY

I have tried successfully a CD reboot and full restore. I have tested the e-mail restore function and that does work for me on TI version 10.
    Yes, I have also tried to backup and restore individual files successfully.

2005 Media Center PC P4 1gig RAM with Raid 1, 250GB drives.
    I backup to external USB drives rather than trying to burn to DVD disks to restore the system.

6. andyloc

yes have read a lot about the backup to DVDs as not being too robust.

I have now started to backup to the local drive and then copy to my USB external HDD rather than use the DVDs that I used to.

Have you tried the new incremental backups? want to use this type for my music/photos/videos/emails as I normally keep these seperate to my main image of my whole computer as well.

7. AlaninKY

I have tried with TI 10 the incremental backups feature and that function does work on my system.

8. andyloc

You think it will just be easier for me to go straight to external USB HDD instead of copying over from my local HDD?

Does TI v10 "see" the USB drives ok? it is actually a desktop HDD incased in a USB 2 external closure.

9. AlaninKY

TI does see my USB external hard drives ok. I think it's easier just to go directly to USB external hard drive. I rotate 3 USB external hard drives to do my backups just in case one USB external drive crashes. In other words I don't want all my backups on just one USB external drive as that is reason to rotate usage of more than one USB external hard drive for doing my backups.

10. andyloc

I was thinking of keeping one copy of the TI on my local HDD, one on the USB external and one on DVDs incase

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just out of curiousity have you restored any of your version 8 images.

If yes then what I'd to is reimage with v8, make sure you can restore that image. Then you can safely test v10 as if it doesn't work you can just restore your v8 image

On the other hand if you've never restored you v8 image you really don't know if it is any good.

Pete

12. andyloc

didnt think of it that way!! good idea!

Yes I have restored once with the v8PE image.

So yes I will do a restore with that, then install v10 on image it and try a restore with the v10 image.

Is then set in stone as it is whereby I cn trust v10 will work ok.

I backup keep the image and then do a restore after a long while, although with incremental in v10 now might try and do some of this

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Andy

Nothing is ever set in stone:D . But if you test v10 and it works and you can restore, then you've got the start as you can always fall back to an image that worked. Just do it more frequently, and keep a couple of images.

Also I would recommend helping the program work for you by keeping it simple. Sure it has a lot of bells and whistles, but keep it simple. That is always safer.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.