About Scan Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zp3222237, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, though I could see a relation between scan engines and the detection rate (in terms of unpack ability), it is not necessary that detection rates should be an indicator of which scan engine is better. Like I have already said, how good a scan engine is depends on a lot of factors, not just the unpack engine or the detection rate.

And if by "over-the-top" signatures you mean the CRYPT type detections, then it should be noted that many companies add packer dependent detection even for packers that their engine can actually unpack without problems. :)

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Same thing with poor detections and excellent removal.;)
    Can't remove what you don't detect.
    I think that in an av we all want good detection and removal.
    It does go beyond that doesn't it?
    Packer support,stability,and scan speed also.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Well unfortunately I can't amuse others like you can with your biased misgivings and your snake oil sales pitch, good day to you too.:D :shifty:

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

I'm not really sure what it will take to get the message through, but unsupported point/unsupported counterpoint discussions presented at a technical level that doesn't get more complicated than "is not"/"is to" are rather worthless, a waste of perfectly good electrons and bandwidth, and will quickly cause the closure of this thread if it continues.

Blue

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Agreed. What's really funny is that it looks like a certain someone is actually serious about his "I've-done-my-research-but-have-no-evidence-but-I-know-experts-will-soon-come-and-verify-my-claims" pitch.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

If avira has poor removal then drweb has poor detection but neither is true. CSJ it's perfectly allright being a fanboy but it's not allright stating falses as if they were technicly proven. Please show me one report that states avira has much worse removal rates then drweb. As being a user and fanboy of both products i have to admit there is some truth in what your saying at least about drweb being better at cleanup and i know avira is better in detection of "real world" malware true positives but drwebs cleanup ability isn't all that people claim to be and avira's poor cleanup ability is exaturated.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

:) Correct, as I mentioned, total unsubstantiated claimed based on personal bias, prejudice and vendetta:shifty:

8. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

And wishful thinking.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

all i see, is some quite abusive comments.

if someone can tell me how 'avira is superior than drweb in every way', id be interested to know.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, it's quite obvious now this thread is not going to get back on track and have any substantive discussion.

Thread closed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.