About Scan Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zp3222237, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zp3222237

zp3222237 Registered Member

I am a newcomer.
    I want to know something about Scan Engine. In domestic forums, they always say that there are 5 most famous Scan Engines in the world. They are belong to Norton,Mcafee,Kaspersky,Panda&DR.WEB separately.
    All av products have scan engines,but a lot of them use other products' engines, like Gdata's AVK,F-secure,trustpost,Viruschaser etc.
    How many effective&powerful scan engines those have their own technic in the world?(be familiar to the masses):)

2. Don johnson

Don johnson Registered Member

:D :D :D I think you must come from China,do you really trust it?I remmber the writer says nod32's engine likes Panda and Dr.web,and Avira's engine is based on Dr.web:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avira's engine is based on drweb?

nope, aviras engine is poor in comparison to drweb. :rolleyes:

im not sure about the others you mentioned, but when i hear 'good' and 'engine' i think of only kaspersky and drweb.

i will wait for a techie, someone like IBK or maybe IC (his comments are usually full of detail for us n00bs :) ), to give his reply on this before i comment a little further ;)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It depends on how you define "good" and the parameters that are used, different engines will be good for different purposes; there is no universal method to pick out a "best" engine among all the ones out there. What DOES matter is that your AV is protecting you, and whether you are satisfied with its protection.

The thing is that going deep into technology details breaks NDAs as well as create a possible situation for lawsuits and ugly exchanges of words, which is why nobody from the industry can really comment on which engine is better. But, as I said above, each engine is good depending on the situation.....One can easily make a scenario to make e.g. NOD32 look bad, just as easily as one can do that for e.g. KAV :)

I have my own perspective, and from my perspective I have some "guesses" on good engines, but I do not let this get in the way of my decisions for using an AV, nor is my opinion based on any validated, quantitative or qualitative test. :):)

IMO a being a "good" engine should not solely mean having a great unpack engine. There is more to a scan engine than just unpacking, you need to load the databases, the actual scanning itself, efficiency/speed optimizations etc., disinfection rate and the like. So just because e.g. KAV unpacks 999 out of 1000 given packers while some AV X unpacks only 700 does not necessarily mean KAV has the best engine.

Hence, one should note that the answer is not exactly black and white for such questions. What users should think about is the protection level offered by an AV. :)

5. zp3222237

zp3222237 Registered Member

Thanks very much.
    I benefit from your comments.:)
    To second floor, you are right, I come from China. Was I under your surveillance last night?:p

6. ink

ink Registered Member

When I come across such post you mentioned, I never reply. It is a shame when they said what they do not know a little. But it really works when you try to find the good engine which can survive until today, which got the most and important patent.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You may be correct about the 5 most famous av engines in the world.
    Especially Kaspersky with all of the KAV clones like Defender Pro etc..
    The most popular may be better at advertising,not neccessarily the best.

And you prove that how?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm, why do i need to prove this?

if you really need proof...... look into it yourself, i've got other things to do :rolleyes:

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira's engine is far superior in comparison to Dr. Web's, its detection rates show that in every tests done. Overall its a far superior product to Dr. Web as well.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

why are you comparing detection to the scan engine?

please tell me, other than detection (from these tests you mention), how is avira superior over drweb?

11. the Tester

Other things to do?
    Like making more unsubstantiated,unproven claims ?o_O
    Or are we just supposed to take your word for it?

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your 'the_tester', why do i need to do it for you?

13. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

So you mean to say you haven't done any testing at all?

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i do all my own personal testing, and follow-throughs yeah.

im sure the techie people will support these claims, so why not just wait eh?

to say the avira engine is superior than drwebs is just stupid. :eek:

15. the Tester

Another words you really can't prove anything you said about scan engines.
    I thought so.

And yes,it would be interesting to hear from "techie" people or better yet,av experts.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sorry, but i left my comments... and await the techies response.

i thought with a name like the_tester, you might know something, must just be a wannabe IBK or something.

.... i thought so

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

So you're waiting for "techie" people to come and support your claims of research you've supposedly done?

Why not just show us what's there to see? Unless, of course, you have nothing but hot air.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im glad you caught on so quickly :rolleyes:

19. the Tester

Not an IBK wannabe.Although I do admire his un-biased tests.
    Why so defensive?
    All I asked for is proof.A simple link to a test/article from an expert would do.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

The proof is in the pudding, detection is dependant on the scan engine, and in that aspect Avira outdoes Dr. Web in every tests done so far, like it or leave it. ;)

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dont worry, they will reply to this... why the hurry?

avira in comparison, has poor packer support, poor removal and signatures that are soooo over-the-top, the engine to me just seems extremely basic.

why not just wait for some more replies, and we shall leave it at that (for now) ;)

also,

i hear the arguments all the time for avira, and every-single-one is detection, correct?

i also hear the arguments against drweb all the time, and every-single-one is detection, correct?

you dont hear many bugs with drweb like avira, or update problems or processes going missing etc, but people are soooo attached to these 'detection rates' of these tests.

i dont understand how great detection with poor removal is a good thing, it kinda cancels it out, infact... it does.

so labelling avira as 'superior' than drweb in every way, i find just ridiculous.

and regarding the engines, please just wait for some more replies before dismissing my comments completely.

g.night

how many 'wrongs' can you fit in a sentence?

22. Arup

Arup Guest

To proclaim Dr. Web's engine is superior to Avira's based on personal unsubstantiated bias is totally moronic in every sense.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol, you think its because im being biased. :rolleyes:

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, thats why Avira wins in AV Comparatives over Dr. Web :)

Can't match your wrongs for sure..........;) Bias unbound, illogical, lopsided in every sense.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol Arup, and i shall leave you with those comments, for other peoples amusement, im sure.

have a nice day :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.