About PC-Cillin IS2007's firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bryan8888, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryan8888

bryan8888 Registered Member

First time to this forum and Sorry for my silly questions:
    1.First question :

I installed PC-Cillin IS 2007 today and chose the level of the firewall to be the maximum protection.In this maximum level ,I still can share the files with my friends' computers in our local network. Is it strange? Because in the hELP documents of the programe,it says"maximum protection" means no sharing in the local network and aboslutely safe. Is it normal?

2.another question: PC-Cillin IS 2007's firewall is not like other vendor's firewall. For example ,KIS's firewall can tell me which ip address belongs to the local network and which belongs to the internet.However, PC-Cillin IS 2007's firewall didnot tell me anything about ip address.Just install and choose the security level........

PLZ help!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

~removed full quote of post just above....Bubba~

yes, no problems what-so-ever with your setup.

the firewall on trend 2007 is very very good, one of the better ones available, if not the best out of the 'suite range'.

hope this clears your worries a bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  3. bryan8888

thank you ~C.S.J

Do you mean that it is normal that I still can share the files in our local network with choosing the maximum protection level of the firewall?

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, normal ... i take it you mean through Internet connection sharing / router?

yes, this is normal.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello bryan8888, Welcome to Wilders.

I am just going to install now to check on this for you. (you should be able to block file sharing, even on the LAN, as this can be a security problem)

6. bryan8888

Thank you ,Stem~

Followed are the HELP documents for pc Cillin 2007 for the maximum protection level:

"With your computer unavailable to most other computers that seek to communicate with yours, you cannot use printers connected to or files stored on a home or office network. Only select the Maximum security level to defend your computer when under attack by a hacker or network virus."

That is why I thought it is abnormal.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello bryan8888,
    There are over-rides to the current profile/config.

Open up the main PC-Cillin console, select the "Personal Network & Firewall Controls" tab. Under "Personal firewall" select "settings": In the window that appears, select your current profile and select "edit". Here you will find a number of options. From my posted pic, you will see that the current rules allow by default "netBIOS"(filesharing). you would need to change the rules here, to block filesharing.

Attached Files:

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

From the "General" tab:-

Attached Files:

9. bryan8888

i see i see ,haha

Thank you so much, Stem~!!!

So I think what I need to do is to uncheck all the box which contains "Netbios" to forbid the filesharing. Right?

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello bryan8888,
    Yes, unchecking the rule(s) will disable them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.