About Panda Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aluckystar, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

Hi, I come from Asia. As I know, Panda is an antivirus vendor from Spain and popular in Europe (But I don't know the market share of Panda Antivirus).

But I found that Panda is not in the test list of AV-Comparatives, I remembered tha IBK had said that they only test products that have a detection percentage above 85%. (So Trendmicro's PCC is not in the list). Does that mean that Panda Antivirus's percentage is lower than 85% ?

And I found in VB100 Test, Panda only got 1 Success / 3 Failure / 45 No Entry. But PC WORLD Magazine said Panda performs good in antispyware.
    I also saw the article "The limits of Scanning" on eWeek(the test was done by AV-Test), Panda performs average. I found the tests of panda is not very much.

Can somebody tell me some truth about Panda Antivirus (Such as Internet Security 2007) ? What's its market share in you country and how about its performamce? What's your opinion about Panda antivirus?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I can't tell you if it is the most popular in Europe but definitely it is most pupular in Europe because Panda Software is Spanish (European) company

Panda doesn't take part in AV-Comparatives.org and in VB 100% competitions because Panda doesn't want . Panda Software doesn't trust the people/companies that take care about AV-Comparatives and VB 100% , they don't like how their product performs and that's why they don't .

I currently use NOD32 (and I am quite happy with it) but from late 2004 to the beginning of 2006 I have used Panda Titranium/Platinum/TruPrevent . I was happy with 2004 and 2005 products but I belive 2006 and 2007 are not so good . They have firewall , behaviour analysis and things like that . Their detection rate in combination with their heuristics is not bad , even very good but the problem in most people comes in the performance . Panda slows down the whole computer and is quite heavy on resourses on most machines . I don't know your computer paramenters but you'd better try it on your own to understand .

If your computer can't work with it (I mean it is slow) you can always test another products and combine with something else .

About the market share - it is the product most sold in Bulgaria (but this is from genuie, legal statistics) . Bulgaria is famous with illegally used products and in real world the most used products here is NOD32 , then Kaspersky , then others ...

3. aluckystar

Thank you for your detailed answers. :)

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

The Panda 2007 series didnt run slow on my comp. nor my old lapop (1,8 ghz centrino, 1 gb ram...). Actually Panda are one of the av/is suites that has been slowing down the least.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hi aluckystar,

panda has detection rates of 90% there abouts, (90-93%) as does trend micro aswell i believe.

both will protect you, try the trials and you will see if you like it or not.

6. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Which test(s) does this refer to?

Londonbeat

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

doesnt refer to any, just an average from tests on the net and past tests on av comp.

both panda and trend are between 90% - 93%

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

thats the past, now i guess they score much lower...

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

May we know why do you think so . Thanks ;)

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

didnt trend get 93% in that av-test.de or whatever it is, wasnt that recent?

everyone said thats a valid reliable test.

11. IBK

IBK AV Expert

sure, but that does not include any viruses and not complete sets. so in av-comparatives it would be lower i guess. Maybe in March we will all know if my guesses were right or not.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

still scored well, as some didnt.

wasnt it just behind nod32 in the results and mcafee too.... i really dont think its that far behind, as for panda that scored around 90% too, i still think they are good enough scores and will be good enough for anyones machine.

my dr.web got 91% hehe, and still good enough for me. :thumb:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the tests dont matter as long as it protects against malware in the real world.
    lodore

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cmon lodore you should know i dont judge an AV on test results, more on tested myself :)

but lets put that aside for just one sec, if it scored ok in that test which is supposed to be a valid accurate one, so people say... it cant be that bad can it, panda and trend are 2 massive companys who offer a great product still, some will love them, some will hate them .. just as every other. :D

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I know i was just saying that even thou dr web scores quite low on av comparatives it would seem it protects well in the real world after reading posts from dr web users.
    I have noticed that sometimes nod32 has tons of updates a few days before av comparatives tests.
    dr web only detects real world malware and not test malware and thats why it scores lower in the tests.
    but why detect malware that a customer of the product will never meet?
    its better to keep the database smaller and only protect against real world malware that can cause harm to the end user.
    lodore

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

drweb does not score low, it protects its users, it is just that some products protects even better. the new engine of drweb will show an improvement and protect also against real world threats and not detect harmless files (hopefully :p). ;)
    Since last test DrWeb added ten tousands of samples, do you think they added harmless files or files that users never meet? No, they added things they did not detect before, like also other AV protect against / added, independent from philosophies and/or marketing reasons.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ibk, do they not tell you how much better its going to be?

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

no, they do not need to tell me, i am confident that after this beta stage where people can report false positives and drweb can adjust the (new) engine things regarding detection rate and false positives will be better. i will know it after having tested it.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Progress at last. Hopefully tens of thousands.

20. aluckystar

IBK, will AV-Comparatives test Panda or PC-Cillin recently ?

21. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Panda maybe, trendmicro seems not, but i will in both cases continue to invite them and try to get them included in the 2nd testing group which will be tested/published within March.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.