About Online AV/AM Scanners:

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wtsinnc, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I'm wondering about online AV and AM scanners.

I've used quite a few over the years and know that some such as those from Eset, Norton, and PC Tools Spyware Doctor do not utilize the full database of signatures that are available when using the full (installed) application.
    In fact, I've been told that nearly all online scanners use a restricted database.

I've read that the online scanner from Emsisoft does access their full database.

Are there any other scanners that do not require installation and use their companys' full AV/AM database ?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think Kaspersky does.

3. wtsinnc

Thanks, but nope.

According to info at Kasperskys' website, it has to be installed.

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hi!

In fact what you have been told is wrong. I can't comment for Spyware Doctor but both ESET and Norton use their full databases . As for ESET , you can see while it is downloading files , the size is ~the same as the one the full product uses.

5. wtsinnc

3GUSER;
    Thanks for that information.

Still, I'm looking for an online scanner that does not download/install signatures.
    I suppose that leaves only the cloud-based scanners.
    Prevx would be a top contender except that I'm running Sandboxie.
    Perhaps the Panda online scanner if it utilizes their entire database.

Clearly, I need to do more research.
    3GUSER and Ibrad; thank you for posting.

6. guest

guest Guest

Did you think about hitman pro? or you are not looking for an on-demand scanner only?
    http://www.surfright.nl/en

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

What about Housecall....:)

8. wtsinnc

guest;
    Hitman Pro is a great suggestion in that it has a tiny footprint- just over 6mb total download and a fast scanner, plus on-demand is actually preferred.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't scan everything.
    I'm wanting something that will scan everything- every folder/file, every .dll, every nook and cranny.

sg09;
    Thanks also.
    While Housecall has a far more complete scan than Hitman Pro, it also downloads signatures and the total install is nearly 75mb.
    Not what I want in that regard, plus I have doubts about TM's detection capability.

So it's still an open question.
    An on-demand application that will scan everything on the hard drive (and external drives as well) and be able to not only detect but also remove malware, NO signature download, configurable to some extent, and from a company known for excellent detection and removal capability.

Emsisofts' online scanner hits "the high spots" but will not scan everything.
    Norton's downloads signatures.
    The same with Kaspersky, Eset, and F-secure.

Perhaps what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Got you somewhat.... So you are not asking about any online scanner... May be Dr Web Cure It will be your choice...:)

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

How about this one.

11. wtsinnc

Thanks to all for your input.

I downloaded/installed Dr. Web Cureit.
    I've used it before so I wasn't surprised that the total install size was about 70mb.
    Still not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the idea.

Likewise with Live One Care.
    Total install was about 60mb.

So I'm back to the proverbial square one and just don't feel this is worth any more of my or anyone else's time.
    I use rollback software.
    I'll just install the application of my choice, run it, and nuke it with a rollback.

Again, thanks to all who offered your ideas.

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Norton Power Eraser
    BugBopper/Wuzzup

13. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

It is not intended for the purpose of the OP - a.k.a. scanning everything , and is not for everyday use

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I don't think there is such a thing created . If it is an online scanner , it is not a full product present on your computer . You also want it to scan all your files , so it must compare it with some database . Comparating to an offline database is faster than uploading each and every file (or file hash) and doing cloud scanning . In-the-cloud products are still not many , what about online scanners .

Norton Security Scan does both signature scan + in-the-clound reputation scan BUT still signatures are involved . I don't recommend you use it because the reputation scan might give you a false positive and Norton Security Scan just scans , doesn't remove.

Would you be more specific what exactly do you want to do so that you want online scanner / no signature database , so that we could help you and possibly suggest something else

15. wtsinnc

I'm pretty sure my questions have been answered.

The reason I posted here was to perhaps discover something new through posted suggestions.
    Over the years, I've tried literally hundreds of security apps, so I was already pretty familiar with what I didn't want- a full real-time AV or security suite.

My goal was to find the application that has all of the features listed below.
    1) Very small footprint- hopefully 10mb or less.
    2) Absolutely no signature download.
    3) Scans EVERYTHING.
    4) In deference to #3, configurable to also scan only selected items.
    5) Must have excellent detection and removal capability.
    6) From a company with a top-level reputation.
    7) Freeware or available for free through a promotion.

What I'm doing is playing something of a game.
    I'm trying to build an XP Professional install with all of the applications I feel I need regarding security, cleaning and other maintenance, media backup and playing, communication and document reading, plus any other need.
    I'm trying to keep the total size below 2gb (no pagefile).
    This is nothing more than an exercise to see if it can be done to my satisfaction.

Currently I'm at 1.87gb without antivirus or 3rd party firewall.
    I do have seven dvd backup applications, three system cleaners, WinPatrol Plus, Adobe Reader and Flash 10.0, Sandboxie, Keyscrambler, Malwarebytes (on-demand only), Pop Peeper, Comodo Time Machine (I've tried several rolldack applications), and a couple of other apps.

As stated in my previous post, I have for some time had the option to install anything, run a full scan, then remove it completely using rollback software or to simply create a second partition for specific applications- but I don't want to do that.
    For what I'm trying to accomplish, that would be cheating.

Mine is a simple goal to create a complete install (without pagefile) that will contain applications for every task I will need to accomplish, and to have that total install size to not exceed 2gb- and all of the applications must be either freeware or obtained for free through a legitimate promotion of some type.

Simply a game, simply an exercise.
    I already know it can be done to my satisfaction;
    I'm just seeking the best applications for the task.

Again, thanks to all who've contributed.

16. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

My suggestion...pare down the number of dvd backup apps, replace adobe reader with foxit and you you will have more room for a scanner, as well as being safer without adobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.