? about Norton (symantec) 10.2 or 10.1 multi-packs.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jrx10, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I've been hearing from some quite knowledgeable people in the computer business that Norton 10.2 for business (which I think contains 10.2 for vista and 10.1 for xp), is the way to go with anti-virus, without the bloat of Norton AV for home users. I see a 5 user pack for $145 which is less that $30/computer. Does anyone know if when you get the 5 user pack if you can keep 3 (or 4 if I decide to use it on the laptop as well) for yourself, and sell 2 (or 1) of these to a neighbor or friend? thx

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, you cannot legally sell the license(s) since they are part of a complete package. Not to mention you would have to loan the person your original install disc or make a copy of it. It would be no different than if you tried to sell one of the client licenses that comes standard w/ Windows Server 2003.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

thx. I called Symantec to see if they had a 3-pack of 10.1, which is really all I need, and they said they didn't. Too bad. With deals out there for a year of KAV for around $20, I guess I'll just go with it. I was left with a bad taste for norton about 2000 when I purchased systemworks and it really sucked. I went ahead and renewed the Norton AV for a year and dropped the rest of that bloatware, and then about a month later purchased a new computer with norton AV already installed for a year, and symantec wouldn't let me transfer the updated AV with 11 months still remaining to my wife's computer, and they were really AHs about it. In any event, I was going to give them another chance since I heard from reliable sources that 10.1 for XP was very good without consuming a bunch of resources.

4. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

The 2007 versions of the end consumer product line are also quite light. Low on mem, and little CPU consumption. Only thing you notice is slower system start. If you can live with that, give it a try.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not even that in my tryouts of the software, no slower than other suites for boot up.

6. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I can compare NIS 2007 to Nod32 and Avira (pure AV), and system start is somewhat delayed on my dual core PC. On my 1 Ghz laptop the delay in the startup is even more noticeable as compared to the other 2 programs. But this is of course my experience, might be different on a different system. Also the update process is more ressource consuming than for example NOD's. While it doesn't matter for newer computers, on older ones it decreases perfomance somewhat. Nevertheless, I cannot complain about NIS, it does not impact your working with the computer.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok but your comparing a suite against an AV.

suites have more things to load,

as for nortons suite, i dont notice any difference when booting up compared to other top-tier suites.

there will always be faster ones,

ie. drweb and avg will boot up quicker than avira and nod, and dont forget.. drweb has spam too :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.