About Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Biscuit, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks everyone.

Just a little extra question.

Does anyone have any experience or comments regarding the Administration kit? In particular reliability & stability, but also ease of use.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You really need to head over to the Kapsersky Protection for Small and Medium Businesses forum to touch base with those users. While my use of KAV was, in fact, the KAV WKS product until I recently converted to the consumer version, it was always as standalone workstations.

However, from my reading of the forum listed above over the years, my impression was that this facility was quite stable and reliable. You will find a number of knowledgeable and helpful Admin Kit users over there to advise you.

Blue

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So are some of the problems of the past with KAV gone?

I forgot the name of the system it used to mark all the files in KAV6 or 7 I believe, but I read this caused problems for people then there were chkdsk issues.

Anyhow I'd like to know if overall 2009 is a better and more reliable product then before?

From all the problems I've been seeing and experiencing with Nod32 v3 I'm ready to jump ship and go over to KAV 2009.

THANKS

4. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

The chkdsk "issue" is gone.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like to know
    is the real time fast like nod32? or at last very fast?

kaspersky in the old version was not very fast in real time engine

6. BlueZannetti

When you make a definitive statement like this, it's typically reasonable to put some technical context behind it.

To answer the question posed, the issue - and that's if there ever was a definitive one - may be resolved.

The original implementation (iSwift) tagged every file scanned with a file object ID. The facility originally implemented by Microsoft implicitly presumed that the existence of these items would be sparse. Obviously, tagged every file resident on a system with them rendered them non-sparse.

If you examine the characteristics of a system on which KAV/KIS 2009 has been installed, you'll find that these entries do not exist for every file on the system. In that regard, their use in the current KAV/KIS 2009 product is more in line with the original implementation design ethic.

Whether this was a factor in the original problem - which was an inability for chkdsk to ever complete that set the stage for an inability to fix file system inconsistency (if it occurred) that resulted in the eventual corruption of the file system - is unclear. Unfortunately, users tended to draw a correlation between a lengthening time for chkdsk to complete and apparent midstream hangs of the chkdsk process - which absolutely had to occur simply due to the existence of file object ID's (the application consumed time to process a much larger population of these entries - when you get down to it, people really should have been worried if it didn't take more time) - with corruption of the file system. Whether the corruption issue was tied directly to this facility, indirectly related through secondary factors, or was completely unrelated was never definitively established.

If the causation was direct, one should have expected an enormous and growing wave of problems being reported. This never materialized. If the causation was indirect, one might anticipate a steady but low frequency stream of reported issues. This also seems to not be the case.

The situation was not handled well by KL, nor was it handled well by some users on both sides of the debate.

My own best empirical assessment of the situation is that this should be a non-issue for any potential user of the product. That was true for prior versions of KAV/KIS and, given their more parsimonious usage in KAV/KIS 2009, true of the current version as well.

Blue

7. BlueZannetti

As with any AV product, that is system dependent and involves a consideration of the net speed/compute power of your system coupled with the process base that you routinely have running in the background. You are the only one who can definitively answer that question for your system and it requires running a trial of the product.

Blue

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

iSwift still exists then in KAV and files are still being tagged?

9. BlueZannetti

Yes

Blue

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

As Blue says, yes, but the way the tagging is done is completely new and is of Kaspersky's own confection...it does not use the MS method that was causing the controversy with the KIS 7 product. If interested go to the kaspersky forum and search for the relevant articles. The Kaspersky User body has by and lrge moved on re. the point!;)

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So what happens when you uninstall KAV, is everything still left tagged like this, files are altered?

As far as my C: partition I'm not worried I need to reinstall the system, but I have a D: and E: partition, I'd hate to think files have been altered in someway...

THANKS

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

They've never been altered in any way. KAV was storing the info in ADS and later on using object identifiers (both are NTFS filesystem features).

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i know about the system
    but nod is fast & light on every system
    i mean kav2009 is fast and light almost like nod

14. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've got a quick purchase related question. If I purchase KIS, can I downgrade or use the same serial with just KAV (I think ESET allow a similar thing - as a licensed user of Security Suite, I can also use just the standard NOD).

Or if not, could I just activate the AV part and use a third party FW with KIS?

15. BlueZannetti

If you know what portions you wish to not use on installation, use the custom install option at that point and deselect the undesired modules. If you wish to tweak things after the fact, simply start the unistall procedure and select Modify (instead of Remove or Repair) to adjust an existing installation.

Blue

16. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Question;

If one has KIS 7 will the license transfer to version 8 or do you need to buy the new version?

17. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

The license is good for all versions while it is valid

18. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Thanks!

19. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

After two days of testing I've started getting BSODs when trying to copy files to a USB stick on Win XP SP3. First time I've installed KIS (had ESET Suite before). PC also takes a lot longer to boot up now although its not too bad once started.

20. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

i agree with your opinion,the inactive mode is just like the cloud security to collect the feedbacks from the users.and i think the bbs is the efficient way to collect the related informationd directly.the inactive mode will lead some problem--what i care is the privacy problem

21. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

both proactive defense between the Kaspersky and Prevx2,better to avoid the issues!and i suppose emperordarius has lots of the security knowledges,but every user has their own habits on the internet,the differences will be more when the users getting more.To be fair,test it as much as possible for possible os environments. we will happy to seen your test results,and this will make we see the problems directly. some words are not appropriate,forgive and forget it!;)

22. CraigM31

CraigM31 Registered Member

I use Kaspersky 2009 and haven't had any serious problems. I use limewire and Kaspersky has caught every piece of malware that has been thrown at my computer.

23. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

This is the single greatest internet security suite ever created in my opinion.

Have been using it for months now and still love it.

Great detection, multi featured and light as a feather on my computer, what's not to love?

24. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have to agree as well, fast browsing, fast scan times and runs very light on my system, no problems or bsod so far and I have all settings set to max and I can do a full system scan while browsing and doing my work on my system with little slow down as well.:thumb:

THE MUL

25. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

plenty not to love, nothings perfect, it tears up files in a game I have that are false positives. So for you it's fine but I get sick of K-Fanboys here acting like they have the last word on security, trust me everything isn't as it seems...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.